Hair slipping on deer ears

Submitted by Scott on 1/22/06 at 10:02 PM. ( ) 208.4.164.151

I have an auto tanner and really like it. I follow the directions exactly and have real good luck. The only problem I have is about 1 in 4 capes that I tan I have hair slipping off the back of the ear. That is the only place that slips. Any ideas what might be causing this? I do turn the ears inside out before putting into the tanner. Thanks for any help

Return to Tanning Category Menu

ears slipping

This response submitted by Ron on 1/22/06 at 11:02 PM. ( www.wiggy@ticon.net ) 66.181.128.26

Be more tender in that area it will happen in that area

Handle with care

This response submitted by Mr.T on 1/22/06 at 11:32 PM. ( ) 64.31.6.187

that spot is thin skinned to start with, handle with care when you turn the ears inside out, when you push earliners in, and when adjusting the ears while mounting. It helps to dry that area with towels after the tan, the dryer the better.

I have the same problem

This response submitted by Greg on 1/23/06 at 9:54 PM. ( ) 71.124.40.178

Just mounted a deer an hour ago with the same problem, I have used the auto tanner for about 3 years and it happens pretty often, I thought it might be the water you put in there, some places water still has stuff in it and could cause bacteria to grow, I have seen another taxidermist use the same formula and his hides come out nice
and leathery white, really white, but mine come out darker, I f you find out the problem make sure you post it. I would like to get rid of the problem too.

just an idea...

This response submitted by KK on 1/24/06 at 12:21 AM. ( ) 216.166.168.55

hey guys, i dont use the auto tanner but did have the same trouble years ago with ears. After turning the ears out i pour a bunch of salt into them and rub it around good when salting the rest of the cape. Dump it out the next day it really solved the problem in that thin area.

Washing capes...

This response submitted by Steve Rotramel on 1/26/06 at 6:24 PM. ( ) 4.159.179.155

...before tanning? That is usually the culprit. Try to avoid soaking the cape if you need to rinse it, I know that's difficult.

Best bet is to tan without washing. Put it right in the tan in the machine after fleshing, and then tumble afterwards rather than wash.

Also, while you are fleshing you can take some of the tanning crystal and rub into those areas that tend to be weak, like the backs of the ears and right in front of the eye where the epidermis can slip.

Should fix you up!

Return to Tanning Category Menu