Luftan F - How long is a batch good to use

Submitted by Scott on 1/25/06 at 1:23 PM. ( ) 205.175.225.5

I looked at the orange search first and did not see this question. I was wondering how long a batch of Luftan F is good for? Should I be mixing a new batch after every use? Or can I mix up a tub and use it for an extended period of time?

Return to Tanning Category Menu

once

This response submitted by Mr.T on 1/25/06 at 3:15 PM. ( ) 64.31.6.86

you have exausted the mix, although you can not see it. It's a one shot deal, mix fresh each time. You don't want anything half tanned.

Mr.T your wrong

This response submitted by Laurier on 1/26/06 at 8:52 AM. ( houlel@onlink.net ) 209.105.209.5

try this then tell me I am wrong. make a tanning (batch) P.H. 3.5 to 4.5 tan one skin then check the p.h. tan one more then check the p.h.
then do it again then check the p.h.

So what your telling these guys that if your tanning a deer cape, tan it and dump the solution.

What if it was a big bear skin, would you have to make 4 solutions and keep transffering the bear skin from one solution to the next , because it is 4 times bigger then the deer cape ?

No it goes by the P.H.
Keep your solutions clean and keep your p.h. proper and you CAN REUSE YOUR SOLUTION.

Laurier, we will see

This response submitted by Mr.T on 1/26/06 at 10:58 AM. ( ) 64.31.6.28

I have sent an e-mail to the proper people and expect to have an answer straight from the horses mouth. If you are right, I have learned something and will no longer post incorrect information on this subject. I shall return, and one of us will eat some crow, got any salt?

straight from the horses mount

This response submitted by Mr.T on 1/26/06 at 1:07 PM. ( ) 64.31.6.40

You can reuse the solution, but you will still need to add more tan back to it after it has been used. Their is really no way of telling how much tan is left in the bath but most of it should be exhausted into the skin. That's why it is important to weigh your skins, and go by percentages.

Mark Daniels

Knoblochs

Laurier, you are half right on reusing it, but checking the ph has nothing to do with it. I am half right on the Lutan being absorbed and exhausting it from the mix. Share some Crow tonight for dinner?

Oops ,, thats mouth not mount

This response submitted by Mr.T on 1/26/06 at 6:25 PM. ( ) 64.31.6.22

Laurier, where do you get the 4 batches for a bear? You mix Lutan buy the weight of the animal, not by the ph balance. Sounds like you got alot of half tanned skins out rotting away, I bet those customers will be back.

Mark

This response submitted by Bob on 1/31/06 at 8:12 AM. ( ) 205.188.116.137

If you add more lutan F Won't that bring your ph up to high.

Confused

This response submitted by Bob on 1/31/06 at 8:32 AM. ( ) 205.188.116.137

Are we mixing our tanning solution by weight or PH .I've tanned one coyote and had to bring the ph up a little to 3.5 to 4 but it sounds like thier is not enought tanning agent if you add to used solution.Maybe your better to mix a new batch? I REALLY DON'T KNOW!

Return to Tanning Category Menu