Ben Mears spray tan longevity

Submitted by NicolasB on 1/27/06 at 3:32 PM. ( ) 64.18.183.153

Ok, i know that many peoples on this forum have ever talked a lot about that topics. I have seen several texts about it in the archives.

Many of this ones was between 2000-2003.

Now In 2006, is anybody here still working with that tanning method and how about your old mounts with it (color, quality after many years)

I saw that Kenneth was a great fan of it. Do you still use it?

Thanks

Return to Tanning Category Menu

spray tan

This response submitted by kevin on 1/27/06 at 4:03 PM. ( ) 209.142.170.107

I use the spray tan on all of my mammals. So far I have not had any trouble with it. I have only been doing taxidermy for three years and all mounts still look good. The fella that taught me taxidermy also uses it and I have a deer he mounted with it several years ago and it also still looks good. I would like to hear some opinions about it. I like it.

I used to be.......

This response submitted by KBauman on 1/28/06 at 9:18 AM. ( ) 70.135.12.131

a huge fan and supporter of spray tan. The deer I completed using it were awesome. The ease of mounting was unbelievable. My competition pieces looked alive.
The problem came from recommended it. People hated this stuff! They could use it and they were not successful using it. They had numerous problems. So, I quit recommending it as a method.
I have used it for numerous years and have had absolutely zero problems. I have mounts that are ten years old and still look like the day I glossed the nose.
But there are tricks to its use. I honestly believe the main problem taxidermists have with tanning is fleshing and shaving. Fleshing and shaving must be perfect. The hide must be as thin as possible. Many of the people I knew that were struggling with it, could not get a cape prepared properly. This was effecting their final product. Now, I usually recommend a pickle and cream tan or krowtan to any taxidermists that ask. But again, I have always have positive results with the product. Don't forget, sodium sulphate needs to be used instead of sodium chloride. Refridgeration helps during the sodium sulphate process. And eliminate the word tan out of the picture, preservative would be proper.
I figure George will go off on me now. But George, before you do, listen to this. Upon the recommendation of my Delaware buddy, I have purchased some John Rinehart's Cream Tan and I am going to give it a swing. I will report back later. Good luck and use it at your own risk. My next competition piece will definitly be spray tanned.

Ken, I purposely did NOT reply to this one

This response submitted by George on 1/28/06 at 10:41 AM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.117.6

I NEVER argue with results and I've seen your work. I know what you say to be the truth. PERSONALLY, I DON'T use it, but I saw Ben Mears mount a whitetail at an NTA show a few years back with his stuff. He textured the nose by putting a thin layer of clay underneath and then using s jewelers screwdrive, imbedded each tiny wrinkle on the nose. Then he hand painted it with oils and a brush. I wouldn't do that either, but if you'd seen it, it would bring tears to your eyes as it's detail was impeccable. I'm not going to bad mouth quality like that for ANY REASON.

Thanks KBauman...

This response submitted by NicolasB on 1/30/06 at 2:03 PM. ( ) 64.18.183.153

For your honest response. Like you said, fleshing and shaving remains the big part of a successfull job. Ben Mears mounts look so alive and the fur coloration on his whitetail seems to be due to his spray tan method (i heard that).

I usually mount several other big game than W/T. Is spray tan working for other big thick skin capes like moose, elk and caribou?

Return to Tanning Category Menu