Question on neutralizing before tanning

Submitted by Matthew on 1/31/06 at 1:04 AM. ( txhunter992003@yahoo.com ) 66.142.85.210

Hello,

I had a question neutralizing skins for wall hangers, lifesize mountable skins, and rugs etc.
After I pickle with saftee acid for 3 days. I then take the skin out and wring it out and rinse it, knick to make sure its pickled then I drain it for about 30 mins and then neutralize it after Im nuetralizing it the skins ph , which I measure by placing taxidermy ph paers on the skin reads anywhere from 5.0-6.0, is this neutralized or does this ph need to be at 7.0 ?

Please let me know I would apprecaite it, I checked the search button however it gave info on neutralizing with Knoblochs tans Im using a Bruce Rittel product which is different.

Thanks

Matthew

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Neturlizing

This response submitted by Frank E Kotula on 1/31/06 at 5:58 AM. ( basswtrout@msn.com ) 72.70.197.107

There is a plan you follow when doing this, no matter what pickle you use. To neturlize a hide take one tablespoon of sodium bicarbonate to a gallon of water. That is all you need to know. No one really checks to see what the Ph is with the water or testing the Ph of the skin for this can vary pretty much.
Neturlizing the skin doesn't really bring up the Ph in the skin to read 7 on the scale. It's based on bring up the Ph in the hide so that when you place it in a tanning solution or use a rub on tan that the negatives and positives react to each other then the hide acepts tan much easier. With out trying to get to scientific here on how it all works but a quick explaination on it.
So when you take out your hides from the pickle I just squeeze the pickle out and hang to drain them for 30 minutes. Mix up my water and place the hides in there for no more than 20 minutes. Rinse the hides well and squeeze most of the water out by hand or use a washing machine on spin. Drain for another 30 minutes and from there place it into your tanning solution or use your rub on tans.
Hope this helps some but try not to make it into rocket science for it's not. Just follow the basic rules or stepos all your hides will always work out good for you.

I agree

This response submitted by Paul on 1/31/06 at 6:15 AM. ( ) 64.31.6.208

baking soda, water, 20 minutes, rinse and tan, save the PH paper. It's not rocket surgery.

Ok I see what you guys mean

This response submitted by Matthew on 1/31/06 at 9:27 AM. ( txhunter992003@yahoo.com ) 69.153.63.101

I was already using the method Frank Indicated and draining for thirty minutes and your right I shouldn't worry its not rocket sceince. I will just do what I was already doing. Since it was like Frank Kotula said.

Thanks for telling me.

Return to Tanning Category Menu