Mink hide

Submitted by Herschel on 1/31/06 at 2:03 PM. ( cwohrjr@bellsouth.net ) 70.153.183.200

I have a mink hide just skinned out from a road kill mink and would like to tan it as a present for my wife. I don't even know where to begin. My only experience is skinning and stretching raccoon hides years and more years ago when I was a boy.

Can anybody help me.

Thanks,

Herschel

Return to Tanning Category Menu

best to send it out for tanning or buy a tanning kit

This response submitted by Matthew on 1/31/06 at 4:29 PM. ( fishandfurs@hotmail.com ) 209.184.115.253

Hello Herschel,
I would send it out for tanning if you don't know how or buy a kit. There are several good kits i will recommend Van Dyke's Lutan F kit and Bruce Rittels Ez 2000 tanning kit. Both of these if instructions are followed right will produce a supple soft tan. Also make sure you buy ph. strips as these are important in the tanning and pickleing process. Most of the kits come with instructions and all of the needed materials except salt. Most of them are sefl explanitory. I will also tan skins or pelts hides etc. for a fee.

Well,well.......

This response submitted by Penut Gallery on 2/1/06 at 11:12 AM. ( ) 170.158.175.179

herschel
Check out your local library or bookstore for books on tanning. They will point tou in the right direction if you want to tan it yourself. You might have to request it from either place but make sure it has tanning solutions. Or take the other guys advice and buy the tanning stuff. I havent tried store bought yet so I cant suggest one over the other. Good Luck Herschel!

I Love Alum!

This response submitted by Alum Nut on 2/2/06 at 11:26 AM. ( ) 170.158.175.98

Use an alum solution. stretch the skin out on a board w/ nails. Recipie is as follows. mix =parts of alum and salt and put in about 2xs as much water. Nuke it and stir till dissolved. Add flour to make a paste. apply to skin and let sit till dry. scrape off the dried paste w/ spoon. do 2-4 times for best results. take off of board and softenskin by pulling and stretching by hand. Hope she likes it!

Return to Tanning Category Menu