Hair Slippage on Deer Hide--Can it be reversed?

Submitted by Steve on 1/6/06 at 11:44 PM. ( ) 12.214.176.99

I am tanning a deer hide with the hair on. I am using a home tanning product called Tan-All. I followed the directions but the hair is pulling out rather easy. I have used this product before without a problem.
I read that if a hide sits to long that bacteria can develop and that will cause the hair to come out. This hide did sit for a few weeks but it was in freezing temps until it thawed just before I started to tan it.
The hide is in the drying process but still rather wet...but can it still be saved to keep the hair on it?
Thanks

Return to Tanning Category Menu

slip

This response submitted by Mr.T on 1/7/06 at 12:09 AM. ( ) 64.31.6.233

George covered this today, hair falling out is not slip, patches of epidermis and hair sloughing off and leaving bald spots on bare skin is slip. All hides have loose hair when wet, and all hair can be pulled out in the wet condition until the hide is completely dry. Do not pull it! It will be locked into place when dried. For bacteria to grow you need moisture and warm temperatures above 38 degrees to excel it. Setting around frozen will not hurt it. If you are having second thoughts, place a fan on the hair side and dry it fast. If you are doing this out side, the moisture will not help it any. A good dose of stop rot liquid on the hair side while thawing is a very good preventative against possible slip on a suspected cape or hide.

Hair Slippage on Deer Hide--Can it be reversed

This response submitted by Steve on 1/7/06 at 2:35 PM. ( ) 12.214.176.99

Mr T....thank you very much. I will leave it alone and just wait for it to dry.
I have done only one other deer hide and that was a while ago...I just did not recall the hair coming out like that.
This morning it does not seem to come out so easy so I guess I jumped the gun a little...and as you said...I will leave it alone and will let it dry.
Thanks again!

QUIT PULLING ON IT

This response submitted by terryr on 1/8/06 at 11:21 AM. ( ) 12.207.33.102

kapish!!!

Return to Tanning Category Menu