Rittel's Snake Tan

Submitted by Michelle W on 2/4/06 at 9:32 PM. ( michellestaxidermy@zoomshare.com ) 70.144.236.245

I am trying to tan a snake skin. I have already pickles the skin in the 2qt vinager, 2qt water, 1lbs salt solution. Now I am trying to mix the tanning solution. It says to weigh the skins and record the weight and that will tell me how much tanning solution to add the the pickle. Well my skin weighs 6oz. It says for every 1 lbs of skin as 2/3 of a cup. Well I figgure between 1/4 an 1/3 of a cup would be what i would ass to the solution.

I added it and it says it should be at a pH of 4. If not adjust it. I figgure they mean with Baking soda. I added it and it foamed up like crazy. I dip the paper in and it slowly turns color to indicate 4. Did I do the right thing or do i need to start over? ? ? ?

Return to Tanning Category Menu

You did it right............except!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 2/5/06 at 6:53 PM. ( rittel@mindspring.com ) 207.69.139.11

So far everything seems right - except for the foaming! Never put the Sodium Bicarbonate (Baking Soda) into the solution as a powder. ALWAYS dissolve it first in a glass of water and then add it. This way you have a drastically reduced reaction rate.

Also - figured in fluid ounces - you should add 2 fl. ozs. of the tan to your solution. If you added more - it's OK.

Return to Tanning Category Menu