old shaver

Submitted by michael shipman on 2/9/06 at 7:41 AM. ( ) 67.140.125.28

just wondering what tannery it is that you work for.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Why does that matter?

This response submitted by oldshaver on 2/9/06 at 11:43 AM. ( ) 65.15.237.222

My opinions are my own. I am going to leave this site for a while, for a little cool-down. I take this stuf a little to serious sometimes. I speak my mind, with full honesty, based on my personal experiences. Some would rather you pee on their leg, and tell them its raining. Yall have at, and best of luck to all.

Oldshaver

This response submitted by Wally/swt on 2/9/06 at 1:00 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.200

What is wrong with speaking your mind with full honesty ( George does it all the time) and he ain't left yet. You have put out some good info on this site and I am sure some will miss your input, maybe more should speak their mind and be honest about it. I have read this site for more than 6 years but do not post much, just when I think I might help someone who does not get an answer from the rest of the regulars on here. Something must have pissed you off for sure. Cool off and come back.

maybe I can help here

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 2/9/06 at 2:17 PM. ( ) 67.138.9.51

OS cant say this, but I can. He is well known in his circles as being one of the best at what he does. BUT...his opinions, like he said, are his, and not his employers. But his place of employment would be unfairly judged along with him, so he keeps this seperate, in the spirit of fairness, as well as professionalism. I CAN tell you he works for what many in this industry feel is the most dependable and best tannery. Dont post guesses, Im not going to go any further on that. He does take these exchanges a n bit too close to heart, but thats the way it is, we all appreciate the passion. From the outside looking in, I see it comes down to a few jealous people in his industry with hard feelings from the past, always needing to one-up the other. OS doesnt need to worry about it, in my opinion.

Bill Y?

This response submitted by rich on 2/9/06 at 4:00 PM. ( ) 63.26.179.182

Well Bill i have been posting reposes with OS.And i am not a jealous person.don't know enough about him to be jealous.as far as where he works.he has made statements about being such a good shaver.i don't know if it is true or not.maybe people are asking where he works so they can send there hides there to get the quality you just spoke of.He also said anyone starting up a tannery is wasting there time and money if they haven'y had at least 10 years experience.Then if that is the case then at some point we will have NO tannery's.I am by no means taking shots at OS but personally to me if you are going to come on here with such claims you should be willing to back them up.Rich

Rich

This response submitted by John on 2/9/06 at 4:56 PM. ( ) 24.243.46.224

In my opinion OS is correct in the statement that you should have at least 10 years experience. If you don't you better have the capital to hire someone like OS that knows what they are doing. You cannot go to school to become a good shaver, it takes years of experience and alot of back breaking work! Trust me, I am selling all my tanning equipment and chemicals and shipping off the tanning because I learned it the hard way. My statement was; Oh yeah I can do all my own tanning and keep up! Boy was I wrong!

Ok then

This response submitted by rich on 2/9/06 at 5:02 PM. ( ) 63.26.179.182

a question for you like asked him.if you should have 10 years experience,then how will we ever have any tanneries when the older guys move on.yes new guys come along..case and point..they are new and will do their best to learn it.if you have to have 10 years experience like was said where will tannery's get their next workers?are they going to waste their money on guys that do not have 10 years experience? i'm just giving my opinion and he has chose to take shots at me and that is cool it just shows i hit a nerve no biggee...if he is so good why not tell us where he works so we as taxidermists can get top quality tanning for ourselves?....Rich

Rich

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 2/9/06 at 9:45 PM. ( ) 67.138.14.156

Rich, then it would be obvious that you were not who I was referring to then, correct? Also, ten years of experience is what most have, and then some, shaving for one tannery, maybe setting up processes for them or another. I agree with him, personally. I dont know if TEN is the majic number, but experience with a tannery that already has made and corrected mistakes would prove invaluable, as opposed to starting out fresh, and learning the hard (and expensive) way. I want to use a tannery formed by guys who worked elsewhere and saw an expensive skin be comprimised, then saved. They learned, the skin wasnt lost, and they eventually applied this to their education. The alternative? Screwing the skin up, then calling an experienced tannery asking why it happened. My guess is most tanneries are made up of guys who have combined experience.

also Rich...

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 2/9/06 at 9:48 PM. ( ) 67.138.14.156

I read further down and saw a post with you and OS. I am not involved in that, wasnt aware of it, and I dont know you. I was speaking in GENERAL above, no names. I made my point, and of course meant nothing about you personally. Im sure you understand.

not a problem

This response submitted by rich on 2/9/06 at 10:49 PM. ( ) 63.26.172.209

i don't get mad over this stuff life is to short.i have been doing taxidermy for 8 years and am very confident in what i do..my only point i was making is exactly what you said..there is no magic number.the guy that trained me his son has been doing it for 3years and can shave a hide great.it all hinges on how well someone picks it up..each person is different..i hope i didn't offend you there was none intended..Rich

nope Rich, none taken

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 2/10/06 at 1:10 AM. ( ) 67.138.12.144

Im good with your reply too. I understand you as well. I just like to be sure, and one extra post to do so sure wouldnt hurt, I guess!

i'v read

This response submitted by wilson on 2/10/06 at 9:57 PM. ( ) 207.200.116.200

I'v read O.S. works at-
Carolina Fur Dressing

Return to Tanning Category Menu