Boar Hide (please help? )

Submitted by Gary on 2/10/06 at 3:56 PM. ( claymanbreaker@aol.com ) 152.163.100.6

Hello guys ( and gals if there are any ).
By the way, thanks in advance for any help and as much as possible would be greatly appreciated! I have researched for an hour and since I am not happy with any answers, I am turning to you guys.

First of all, I am a self employed full time taxidermist and do my own tanning with good results thanks to Phil Helms.
A while back I decided to take on two boars in for tanning. ( Regular customer ) No rugs just tanned.
After skinning, I salted, put in pickle/degreaser, fleshed, back to pickel/degreaser, nuetralized then applied warm liqua tan followed by liqua soft. During the drying process I stretched and scraped with a knife like tool. All of the fat is gone but hide it still hard.
I tumbled in corn cob a small piece of extra hide experimenting to see if it would break it? No luck . Just a messy hide full of corncob.

I am considering rehydrating ( Relax R ) and starting the process all over. I don't know what I did wrong?
I have done caribou like this which turned out great but these pigs are a headache! By the way, I too noticed lice on the hair. Is soaking in gas the only way to remove the lice?

Thanks again everyone!

I'm getting ready to do a buffalo hide next with this process. I hope I don't have the same problems. Gary

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Gary, do you have an 8 foot diameter tumbler?

This response submitted by George on 2/10/06 at 5:23 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.100.66

If you don't, you're pissing into the wind. Hides have to be broken. YOu got away with the caribou because it's so thin skinned. The boar won't ever be truly "soft", but breaking it will work somewhat. And if you're even THINKING about starting a bufflo - well -Good luck.

BTW, you should always flesh before you put a hide in the pickle, not after it comes out.

Gary

This response submitted by swt on 2/10/06 at 7:04 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.14

The first thing you need to do is take that boar hide down really thin, until you see the hair follicles or roots, do not cut through them or you will lose hair. You can stop when you see something that looks like the outside skin of a golfball. Then do your degreasing(for me denatured alcohol works good for this I leave it in overnight) Then go about your method of tanning. But like George said, that hide has to be broke, or you will never have a soft pigskin from it, and that's the tough part.

LOL

This response submitted by MichelleW on 2/13/06 at 2:43 PM. ( michellestaxidermy@zoomshare.com ) 138.162.128.37

Boars have a shield over their shoulders and back. If you don't get it off you will never have a soft skin. Regardless of what you do. Even if you do get it off it is still a heck of a job to break it. The skin is still tough where the shield came off. As for the "Lice" you are seeing. Those are more than likely egg's you are seeing and they won't comb out. I've tried bout everything feom scrubbbing the hide in the wash to lice combs. They won't hurt anything to remain in the hide. I usually leave them on my hogs after I mount them. It's natural...

Lice

This response submitted by Michael Lepien on 2/28/06 at 9:36 PM. ( ) 24.116.101.98

The white casings on the hogs hair is an animal louise. Larger then the human lice we usually know of. They are on all animals if you look really close. Hogs hair is just thicker and not as dense. If the acidity is at the right level then the egg casing that is on the hair is killed. The chondrotin coating is an awsome adhesive around the hair and usually won't come off unless you break the hair. Leave it on and if there is a noticable amount, touch up with spray paint. Michelle is right, they won't hatch or be a problem after its mounted.

Return to Tanning Category Menu