Air dried bobcat-what's next

Submitted by Terry on 2/13/06 at 9:34 AM. ( bucknduck@ghvalley.net ) 65.121.63.0

I've got a guy with a stretched air-dried bobact he wants tanned and mounted. Can I put it in the pickle just as if were salted then proceed with the process? Or do I need to do anything different? Thanks for any help on this one.
Terry

Return to Tanning Category Menu

salt and dry it first, then after its dried out realax

This response submitted by Matthew on 2/13/06 at 10:16 AM. ( ) 66.143.245.85

A air dried skin is not salted dried, so techinically its still raw, since most trappers stretch it and flesh and and dry it out but they do not salt it, this stil leaves membrane and maybye a little grease in the skin depending on how well they fleshed it and what type of animal. So it would be best to salt and dry it first, then after its completley dried out, then relax the skin with laundry detergent for 15 mintues to make it soft prior to putting it into your pickling solution. You could also throw it directly into the pickle if you know how to use a alum pickle which helps cook fat and grease, I have not yet tried them but I have heard they work good and they cut your salting and drying labor costs.

Check the face

This response submitted by AndyO on 2/13/06 at 12:19 PM. ( ajossola@yahoo.com ) 68.250.194.188

I would first make sure the eyes, ears, nose and lips were turned and split before air drying. If not, I would turn down the work. If you decide to procede you can rehydrate the skin and continue with degreasing or pickle.

oh yeah I forgot to mention always turn eyes lips and ears

This response submitted by Matthew on 2/13/06 at 6:50 PM. ( ) 69.153.63.245

Yes Andy mentioned the first important step chek eyes lips and ears to make sure they are turned and split and all of that good stuff then salt dry if lips eyes and ears are not turned, you might have slippage and it will be hard to mount the skin.

rehydrate first

This response submitted by terryr on 2/13/06 at 11:47 PM. ( ) 12.207.33.102

have thrown these directly into pickle but always end up having to rehydrate so now i do this first - aire dired skins MUST be rehydrated or you will never be satisfied with the (soft) tan

Thanks for the input

This response submitted by Terry on 2/15/06 at 11:04 AM. ( ) 65.121.63.0

Thanks for the help. I'll give it a try.
Terry

Return to Tanning Category Menu