Tanning For Wall Hangings. Beaver & Muskrat.

Submitted by Easton on 2/14/06 at 7:27 PM. ( ) 69.178.193.108

I have a beaver and muskrat I want to tan for wall hangings or blankets so I want it to be soft and maneuverable like my raccoon I sent to USA foxx & furs. I would like to try tanning them myself. If I used the McKenzie brush-on tan & then broke & Oiled it with McKenzie tanning oil. Would this create a soft, dry leather?

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Easton

This response submitted by Ed on 2/14/06 at 8:01 PM. ( mountianed@earthlink.net ) 207.69.139.156

In my opinion, McKenzie Tan, followed by breaking and oiling will work just fine for wall hangings.You will gain much better results with heavier furs IE: Deer, if you have the capability to thin the hide . For softer skins (if being used for throws) ide recomend Lutan-F.Good luck

Try Ez 100

This response submitted by Matthew on 2/17/06 at 10:21 AM. ( fishandfurs@hotmail.com ) 66.143.245.85

Hello Easton,

Ez 100 By Bruce Rittel. Is a good tan and unlike lutan f it will not wash out. Ez 100 produces a good excallent garment strtch and white supple soft leather. I have been using ez 100 for the last year or so, I have been tanning using a method similiar to a commercial tannery.

have a nice day

Return to Tanning Category Menu