hair slippage

Submitted by Chad on 2/14/06 at 9:20 PM. ( )

I have a deer hide that has major hair slippage. I should not have taken it in. But I am only charging $190. It will be the 2nd deer I have mounted. As a solution to my problem, I can iether replace it with my personal deer hide that is an inch smaller that is already tanned from a tannery mind you, and all I need to do is buy a smaller form or buy new same size cape and new form to match a fit properly. What would you folks do?

Return to Tanning Category Menu


This response submitted by Greg Waite on 2/14/06 at 9:59 PM. ( )

whenever you take in a deer, explain that until you are done with tanning, you can never be certain about slippage. It sounds to me that you questioned the cape from the get go. Did you talk to the customer about the cape? Given everything,, I would use my personnal cape and write it off as a learning experience. Hope it helps

look on the site

This response submitted by paul e on 2/15/06 at 11:10 AM. ( )

stop rot
enough said

stop rot vs. different cape

This response submitted by jim starr on 2/19/06 at 2:37 AM. ( )

ok..if i read the post right..the cape already has "major" slipage. which means stop rot may work but it will not replace the already lost hair.
1st. no matter what..don't cut your price. even if it is only your second deer mount..get a fair price. you not only lost money by cuting your price but have to buy a cape (out more money) or use your own which you have already paid to have tanned. (out money agin)
2nd. i to the customer before taking the mount..make sure they understand that until the hide has been tanned, mounted and guarantees. if the customer parades the deer aroud in the bed of a truck for 7 days after the kill..slippage is inevitable.
3rd. i would explain to the customer that the cape slipped due to circumstances beyond yur control and have them pay for the replacemt cape..whichevercape you decide to use.

Return to Tanning Category Menu