One more question about My Badger!

Submitted by Easton on 2/16/06 at 12:17 AM. ( ) 69.178.193.86

Well I skinned my badger, turned it's lips, roughed fleshed it, then salted it. I only removed the large amounts of fat and meat then salted it. I didn't turn the ears. I then froze it and it is still frozen. When I'm ready I'm going to take it out, semi-unthaw it (until it is movable) and then finish fleshing it. I'm then going to turn the ears and resalt it for overnight. Then proceed on to pickling. Is this okay or will it have some negative effects on my hide? Any info will be appreciated. Thanks.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Unthaw

This response submitted by fur on 2/16/06 at 12:28 AM. ( ) 216.144.58.64

Ha, you said unthaw. You won't get anywhere unthawing the skin. Because, that's also called freezing.

?

This response submitted by Collin on 2/16/06 at 1:58 AM. ( ) 209.115.235.79

just so you know there are two words that do not go together (salt and freezer) how can it be frozen if you put salt on it. you should have just finished do all the fleshing and turning or left the salt off refroze then finished and salted

Everyone says

This response submitted by Gary on 2/16/06 at 8:51 AM. ( sandtonejunkie@yahoo.com ) 129.71.207.101

You are not to salt a hide and then freeze it, It is not a common practice of mine but I have done it before when I first started out, I didn't have any problems, not to say it can't happen. When you takeyour badger out of the freezer it will probably still be pliable enough to start working on pretty quick since it will not be completely frozen, go ahead and turn the ears, finish fleshing and put in the pickle. As a precaution I would order some stop-rot to use on your skins.

Return to Tanning Category Menu