Help, Tanned Capes are slipping!

Submitted by frustrated on 2/17/06 at 4:36 PM. ( ) 205.231.148.240

I recently recieved my capes back from the tannery and so far I tried to mount 6 of them. All of them are slipping. They are wet tanned with EZ 100. Is there anything that I can do to stop them from slipping? The 2 that I was able to get on the form seemed to be ok after they dried. The problem is being able to work them on the form without creating large bald spots. I am not over stretching them in any way. I notice the ease of the hair falling out before I even put it on the form. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Return to Tanning Category Menu

call them

This response submitted by John W. on 2/17/06 at 6:51 PM. ( ) 12.215.63.237

If you have six capes slipping and you know your not being rough with them I would call the tannery ,if they give excuses than you know not to use them again.Are you using any kind of laundry soap or anything like that to rehydrate?If so,this could be your problem,Glen C. has some great info.on chemical slippage.You can also check the archives for info. on the tannery your using to see if others are having the same problems you are.

Sounds

This response submitted by John on 2/17/06 at 9:46 PM. ( ) 24.243.46.224

like the skin is too wet and you are man handling the skins. Try letting them dry out a little before mounting. I have a friend that had the same problem. Also, it sounds like you are struggling to get the hide on the form. Try ordering a slightly smaller form. They are probably not slipping in the general sense of slip. Slipping is the sluffing of the epidermis and the hair from bacteria. Old shaver has a theory on over neutralizing too.

Like I said

This response submitted by frustarted on 2/18/06 at 10:30 AM. ( ) 205.231.150.35

These are wet tanned skins so they aren't rehydrated. I am not man-handling the hides in anyway. It is definately a slip because if you brush your finger over the hair next to the skin, you can "brush it off" The last one I tried to let it dry some first with no help. The hides are tumbled at the tannery to dry the hair some. I have been using wet tans for the past 15 years and this is the first time I've seen a problem like this. Thanks

Return to Tanning Category Menu