question about salting

Submitted by john on 2/22/06 at 8:49 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.203

i have some coons after skinning i fleshed off big chunks and put in the freezer until ready to pickle my question is should i take them out and salt and let dry i have read it sets the hair but the ones i have let dry are a pain in the ass to work with even after rehydration

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Yes

This response submitted by Robin K on 2/23/06 at 3:32 AM. ( flatwoodsman5@aol.com ) 64.12.116.204

coons are a tough hide and iv done a lot of times 3 day salts then carry on but i would let dry then soak in salt brine over night 3 plus pounds salt to the gallon of water email Bruce Rittle hes very good with info on tanning hes taught me alot in the years iv been doing it good luck Robin Kirkland Taxidermy

Yes and No

This response submitted by Frank E Kotula on 2/23/06 at 6:22 AM. ( basswtrout@msn.com ) 71.161.249.212

Personally I do like to salt dry a hide at all times but I have as you can say do a little cheating.
So if you want to cheat still salt the coon. It pulls out plenty of moisture and fluids that don't need to be in the pickle. I fols them up for the night so they can drain off. Then I shake it off and resalt for another day. Now some of the hide may already get hard, but the next day I just quickly soak the hide in water and some ultra-soft, rinse well and place it right in the pickle. Don't ever skip the salting. I know many who do and it still works out fine. But if I can keep the extra fluids from getting into my pickle and possiblly contaminating it, I will.

Return to Tanning Category Menu