What's the difference between John Rineharts and Krowtann?

Submitted by Dawn on 2/28/06 at 3:32 PM. ( ) 208.54.220.25

I'm new to taxidermy(duh!)and I was about to purchase some Krowtann but after reading several posts by "George" who is convinced that the John Rineharts tanning solution is better I'm wondering what is the difference? Who makes this John Rineharts and what is their website? I hate to be a bothersome "newbie" but George sure does talk like he knows a lot so "Hey George!" Could you spare me some info? Thanks

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Dawn

This response submitted by Crusty on 2/28/06 at 4:40 PM. ( ) 209.165.183.15

George is in the hospital right now.......

Hate to hear that, hope he gets better soon!

This response submitted by Dawn on 2/28/06 at 4:42 PM. ( ) 208.54.220.25

Anyone else any experience with this question?

As George would say.....

This response submitted by Crusty on 2/28/06 at 4:50 PM. ( ) 209.165.183.15

"Hit the orange button to your left". But you can also go to the Tax.net home page, click on suppliers, and then suppliers with a website, or something like that.......

Dawn...

This response submitted by Greg Waite on 2/28/06 at 5:32 PM. ( ) 204.116.125.11

I just ordered some from McKenzies, they get it through John Rinehart in Wisconsin. I bought it just to try, never used it before, but there are 59 posts about it in the archives and I read everyone. Hope it helps

its personal preference

This response submitted by paul bunyan on 2/28/06 at 5:47 PM. ( ) 216.108.218.145

one is better then the other to that person only. Krowtann is an quick and easy tan. Basically bullet proof but however there are human factors. jrts is easy for george because his shop is set up that way. He has his procedure for that tan that may or may not work for you. As my procdeure for krowtann may not work for you either. Try them out then decide.
Its no different then using a picture of someones mount for reference. Order the tans follow the directions and then decide.
Good luck to you

Dawn

This response submitted by J Randall on 2/28/06 at 5:49 PM. ( ) 65.140.171.129

I can't tell you all that much about JRTS as I don't use that tan, but I know it's a cream tan that can be used on hides that have been pickled as well as those that are not, I know that George skips the pickle on fresh hides in good shape but others say they wouldn't ever skip the pickle so it's a matter of personal preference. As for Krowtann some like it some don't but I use it exclusively in my shop and couldn't be more pleased with the results. It's really easy to use, locks the hair solid even on iffy specimens and hides tanned with Krowtann have excellent stretch. hope this helps you out

I've used jrts

This response submitted by Bill Richards on 2/28/06 at 6:33 PM. ( huntingfool46@aol.com ) 205.188.116.74

and it worked great. I salted, pickled, then applied jrts on a few whitetail hides. They came out just fine. I've switched to McKenzie brush on tan, and that works just as well. I have found that shaving, after the tanning solution has soaked in works well. Go to the McKenzie web site, and order either from there. You won't be disappointed.
Bill

Dawn i use both for diff. applications

This response submitted by paul e on 3/1/06 at 7:50 AM. ( amfpaul@bellsouth.net ) 72.150.46.14

first i use stop rot on everything up front
if ive got a iffy or not completely fresh cape i use krowtann
if ive got a fresh cape i use jrts
WASCO has krowtann and mckensie has jrts
if you use krowtann follow the directions exactly
you might want to search the archives a little then give ozark wood a call if you have any further ? 1800467 0369
now if you want to use jrts
youll be fine
george has tons in the archives and ive added a few post lately
using stoprot and a cid brine salution thats awesome and gives unbelievable stretch
you dp guys need to try this combo
you get the feal of a tan and the stretch of a fresh skin
paul e

Return to Tanning Category Menu