Experienced Shaver wanted

Submitted by Willy on 2/28/06 at 4:00 PM. ( ) 71.212.55.96

We currently have a position available for a full time, experienced shaver in our Commercial Tannery. If interested please check out our website HTTP://www.littlewillyswonders.com. We can be reached at (360)829-4190 or at littlewillys@msn.com.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Hey Willy

This response submitted by David Patton on 2/28/06 at 10:10 PM. ( ) 12.76.242.119

How much are you paying a good shaver these days? Most guys get 45-60 K a year if they are good. Just curious, that's all.

we pay $ 6.50 per hr

This response submitted by wonders of fur on 2/28/06 at 11:02 PM. ( ) 67.35.23.80

that is 6 1/2 per hour

What we pay

This response submitted by Paull w/ Little Willys Wonders on 3/1/06 at 12:12 AM. ( ) 70.56.83.203

We pay every member of the team whay they bring in.... you set your own pay.... It is all based on what each person gets done.

From Willy... Owner

This response submitted by Willy on 3/1/06 at 11:03 AM. ( Littlewillys@msn.com ) 71.212.55.96

Successful business is just a math equation. Are we drawing out more than we are bringing in($$$$)? What percent is left for the company and benefits?

In order to attract a LONG-TERM work relationship with a competent, reliable, and skilled employee. Customer satisfaction, quality, productivity, and my employee's pursuit of the American dream. These basic concepts are what made my companies successful for over 30 years.

Afraid I am not following this thread

This response submitted by David Patton on 3/1/06 at 10:19 PM. ( ) 12.76.239.40

Paying what they bring in Paul? Do you mean they bring their own hides to the table from their own customers? Or do you mean you pay based on what they shave?

Piece work is the most common method of payment for an experienced shaver. But even that has a set percentage of the total gross dollar amount of the hides produced. Or it is a flat rate that is agreed upon by owner and employee. Then there is always a salary, but that is usually only in large shops that can afford to carry a salaried employee.

Most tanneries base the pay for the shaver on what the shaver can produce. The shaver gets either a flat rate per skin or a percentage of the total value. Any employer that is paying a shaver by the hour is not maximizing the production of the shaving machine. I say that based on 23 years in the shaving business.

Here is an example:
A tannery pays a shaver 15% of the total value of the hides he can produce. Let's say the shaver produces 6-7 deer capes per hour. That deer cape is $30 (average). The shaver is getting $180-$210 of product an hour through a major bottleneck in the tanning process. That equates to about $30 an hour. Now, what does that mean to the tannery? In an 8 hour day, up to $1,600 of product per day. That is 8K per week per shaver. A good shaver will produce 300 to 400 K of product in a year depending on the tannery's price structure.

Does this math equation make sense to you Willy? If you want to get hides running through your shop, you have to go to piece work and you can't rely on the employees setting their own pay. You have to establish specific and measurable goals for them.

But it is your business, not mine. I don't mean any harm, just thought I would voice an open opinion based on my many years of being in the shaving business.

Good luck!

You are right David

This response submitted by Paull on 3/2/06 at 1:32 AM. ( ) 70.56.83.203

As I stated above:

"We pay every member of the team whay they bring in.... you set your own pay.... It is all based on what each person gets done."

"What they bring in" = total revenue to the shop per job minus expenses, shop costs, etc.

"What each person gets done" = # of jobs (example: skins shaved)

Piece work in my opinion is the best way for an employee to set their own pay. By getting better and more productive they can increase their pay... the sky is the limit for a motivated employee with this method. They can also learn other jobs in the shop, also piece work, at their own pace giving them even more income potential.

David

This response submitted by Willy on 3/2/06 at 11:36 AM. ( littlewillys@msn.com ) 71.212.55.96

Are you a shaver?... employee?.... or business owner? I have owned 4 successful companies for 30 years plus.

In the Puget Sound area there is a wide diversity of lifestyles, and education. Thus local companies and employment opportunities abound.

To continue to attract the most competent people, local and abroad, with long term commitment and goals in mind we don't standardize anything.

All employees are encouraged to open our books to see what we get for each job (labor and material). This allows my employees to analyze their own performance and mine.

Like most companies our employees goals range from:
1) part-time (just wanting extra bill money)
2) Full-time (wanting to make 6 figures.)

Our (Willys and Paulls) top priorities are:
1) Customer Satisfaction
2) Make sure all employees reach their goals quickly

Some employees want an hourly wage, some want salary, some want piece work. I always say "Bill me."

In over 30- years I have never had an employee bill me unfairly. They have all been worth the money that they requested. Perhaps that's why all of my companies have been successful.

Like any good and Successful boss I just do what my employees tell me. I'm the brains, and the cheap labor. They pick their jobs and whatever is left I will do... well, I might add.

Willy

This response submitted by David Patton on 3/2/06 at 12:25 PM. ( wooltannery@lonestarfurdressing.com ) 12.2.142.7

First let me begin by thanking you for the information you are providing to the Forum. From what you and Paull have left here, I understand this thread a little better. I find it interesting to know the people who post here a little better.

I own Lonestar Wool & Fur in Smithfield, NC. If I understand you correctly, you are an investor that has found a tannery to make money with. Correct me if I am wrong.

There are examples of investors being successful in this trade. You will be in a small group if it works for you. I hope it does work out, don't get me wrong, it just does not have a good track record over the last 25 years or so. I have been told that I wouldn't make it either and my tannery is going like gangbusters, so please don't be offended here.

The most successful tanneries are either passed down from family or they have sprung from other more successful tanneries. There are several shining examples of the latter situation.

The way you run your business is definitely different from anything I have seen in this trade, but you have a better business resume than I do at this point, so who am I to judge?

So, with all this being said, it looks like the above statement of 6 figures for a full-time employee is the answer to my original question, although it seems that to get to that point in earnings, the employee is expected to do much more than shave on the machine.

Are you attending any trade shows? I am interested in what your final product looks like. I have extensive experience in quality complete with 6 Sigma Black Belt and MQ12005 training to go along with the knowledge gained from 24 years in the trade. I have seen a lot of different tans laid up on the table, and I can tell you quickly where your product stands in relation to what the taxidermists are looking for today.

You might try running an ad for a shaver in one of the taxidermy mags if you haven't already.

Kind Regards

Return to Tanning Category Menu