RED FOX NO SALTING

Submitted by WONDERING on 2/1/06 at 7:00 PM. ( ) 69.14.225.122

I GOT A SKINED FROZEN RED FOX AND I PUT IT IN A FRESH PICKEL TO THAW THEN I FLESHED SPLIT AN TURNED EVERYTHING BACK IN THE PICKEL WITH DEGREESER FOR 24 HOURS OUT RINSED AND IN TO TANN LUTANF OUT OF TAN AND OILED AND PUT IN THE FREEZER TILL I CAN MOUNT IT IS IT OK THAT I SKIPED THE SALTING FASE? AND IT DID HAVE AN ODOR THAT DIDNT GO AWAY WHAT TO DO ABOUT THAT?

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Huntr/joe/Wondering

This response submitted by George on 2/1/06 at 7:08 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.116.14

You've done some stranger things with bear skins without salt, so you just may get lucky, but foxes are tough critters under the best of circumstances. From the archives, you've played a little fast and loose with the accepted methods most of us use. Is there a reason for that?

what are

This response submitted by wondering on 2/1/06 at 8:31 PM. ( ) 69.14.225.122

YOU TALKING ABOUT?

Your DSL TCP/IP number

This response submitted by George on 2/1/06 at 9:45 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.14

And no one could duplicate the spelling of those three different names. Aren't you the guy who suggested using bags of ice in bears and burying them instead of salting them when out in the bush?

Still, the point about the foxes is the same. They ARE tricky and you should stick to time proven procedures. At this point, there's nothing you can do except hope for the best. A skipped step is a lost step.

wow!

This response submitted by wondering on 2/1/06 at 10:14 PM. ( ) 69.14.225.122

looks like you have a lot of names to!
LOL!
FORGOT ABOUT THAT BEAR, WORKED FOR US. WAS A KID WHEN WE DID THAT DIDNT KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THE TRADE WAS JUST AN IDEA, NOT TO MANY KNOW HOW TO SKIN AND SALT A HIDE! LIKE I SAID WE NEVER LOST A HIDE OR ANY MEAT! AND I READ IN THE SEARCH THAT RED FOX'S LIKE TO SLIP AND SAID TO THAW IN PICKEL SO I WAS WONDERING ABOUT THE SALTING STEP!

Nope, only one name

This response submitted by George on 2/2/06 at 9:58 AM. ( ) 152.163.100.66

I just don't have DSL. You guys are "special". LOL

YOUR JUST CHEEP!

This response submitted by HUNTR on 2/2/06 at 6:57 PM. ( ) 69.14.225.122

LOL!

Return to Tanning Category Menu