how long in rehydration

Submitted by mk on 2/1/06 at 11:55 PM. ( ) 216.145.235.16

i have been soaking my moose cape for about 24 hours now in a rehydration bath, of 1 cup salt/gal h2o, w/ bactericide, anyways it is pretty soft and flexible except for a few areas on the sides of the neck. should i go longer in the rehydration bath or go ahead and put it in the pickle to soften the smaller areas up over the next week? thanks

Return to Tanning Category Menu

MK

This response submitted by George on 2/2/06 at 8:01 AM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.100.68

You're about 23 hours too late to ask now. One hour in the bath at MOST. Rehydration does not happen in a bucket as much as it happens in a bag. Better hit the archives and research "rehydration".

what?

This response submitted by mk on 2/2/06 at 10:31 AM. ( ) 216.145.235.106

george, forgot to mention that this cape was salted rock hard for awhile. and yeah i did check archives for rehydration, there was nothing addressing my problem, which was that i still had areas on the cape that were not soft and flexible. so i was wondering on what to do either keep it in there longer for those areas to soften up competly or just throw it in the pickle.

And you've sweated it?

This response submitted by George on 2/2/06 at 11:19 AM. ( ) 64.12.116.68

If you've made the water wetter with additives, I'll defer to some of these guys who tan those big hides.

MK Confused ?

This response submitted by BOB on 2/2/06 at 6:19 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.68

You know that was a fair question i really don't know what george is saying,he did'nt tell me any thing.Iuse the same bath and i never had any thing workable in a hr.Idon't know do you?

yeah i am confused

This response submitted by mk on 2/2/06 at 8:44 PM. ( ) 216.145.235.219

yes the hide would have gotten softer quicker using an additive like ultra soft, but in just a saltwater rehydration bath no way. the thing was stiff for at least 12 hours then took just over 24hours for the neck area to become flexible enough to throw in the pickle, there are still some stiff areas but i am assuming they will soften out in the pickle as time goes on.

MK

This response submitted by John on 2/2/06 at 9:17 PM. ( ) 24.243.46.224

George is trying to tell you that 1 hr is long enough in the liquid rehydration. After that 1 hour take it out, put it in a plastic bag and straight to the fridge for 24 hours. This is called sweating the skin. It will be soft enough in 24 hrs. It will not get softer in the pickle at all.

MK

This response submitted by David Patton on 2/2/06 at 10:31 PM. ( ) 12.76.217.82

You are getting two kinds of info here. Sweating an already tanned cape is one thing and these guys are correct in the descriptions given.

Rehydrating a salted cape for the pickle is something different,...on the beginning end of the process. Your moose should be ready for the pickle after you have rehydrated it for the 24 hours. It will continue to soften in the pickle and with subsequent fleshings. Most people use a wetting agent to help relax the skin before and during pickling. Try one of the suppliers listed on here for tanning supplies to get more details. Pick the phone up and talk to one, they will point you in the right direction.

David

This response submitted by John on 2/3/06 at 9:43 AM. ( ) 24.243.46.224

I have rehydrated salt dried capes this way many times. I was told by a good source this is the way it should be done so that there is no risk of slipping. It works very well. Maybe my terminology is wrong but I don't risk leaving a salted skin in rehydration for 24 hrs. My experience is that it is a pain in the keester to try and shave a cape that is not completely relaxed before the pickle.

George You need to think.......

This response submitted by mikie on 2/5/06 at 9:20 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.68

Before you BARK. He is talking about a raw cape not a salted one!

just my two cents

This response submitted by Kristi on 2/6/06 at 2:17 PM. ( ) 144.9.8.21

A cup full of salt in a gallon of water doesn't seem like enough to me. I don't think that's quite a pound of salt. I'd at least want a pound or two per gallon of water (for a brine)... using Rittle's suggestions.

Kristi

Mikie

This response submitted by John on 2/6/06 at 8:44 PM. ( ) 24.243.46.224

You need to read before you make smart assed remarks. Why in the hell would he rehydrate a RAW cape? Think before you speak!

Return to Tanning Category Menu