Dryer tumbler

Submitted by Kyle on 3/2/06 at 6:26 AM. ( twintrades12@yahoo.com ) 68.191.160.86

Ok i Know That some of you dont like the dryer tumbler idea. But i was wondering How do i slow it down? Could i put a dimmer on the main electrical line? or would That just burn The motor out? Also is The leaking saw dust gonna pose a fire hazard? Just thought id ask.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

DRUMMING

This response submitted by ej on 3/2/06 at 8:38 AM. ( toomuchspam.onhere ) 216.114.124.121

a dryer, at the regular speed, makes a good mixer for your corn cob flour and additive.. you will need a shaker tumbler after that of course. or an air hose. but your in for some pain in the ass work with out a shaker tumbler. of at least 4 ft. diamiter..i use flour because the small particles penitrate the fur leather better at such a close quarters as the dryer tumbler. i use 3 wrappings of black plastic garbage bags to keep mixture in and for easier clean-up. there are some good secret formulas for the mix. i will tell you here that some moisture is needed. few drops of fortified shampoo. etc. etc.

the shaker drum/tumbler is very important because you will be doing two important operations at the same time! cleaning and softning the hides.

30 rpm

This response submitted by Laurier on 3/2/06 at 8:40 AM. ( houlel@onlink.net ) 209.105.209.183

Kyle you will burn out the motor and maybe over create a fire,don't do that.

A dryer turns at 30 rpm and a tumbler turns at 30 rpm . It will not TUMBLE if it turns to fast. To slow and will not TUMBLE either.

not a good idea

This response submitted by Mr.T on 3/2/06 at 11:54 AM. ( ) 64.31.6.193

The dryer motors are not made to be variable speed motors, slowing them down with a dimmer switch, is hillbilly engineering and dangerous. Sure, it might work, but the motor will get hot fast and as long as the house does not burn down, guys will say that they have no problems with their hillbilly u-make-em tumbler. Being desperate to save money by not buying the proper tool will make you do iffy short cuts. Just use the dryer at it's working speed and use lots of sawdust. Fur bearers will be fine in it, birds will get beat up. Birds can be blow dried with a shop vac anyway.

GEE WIZ

This response submitted by moter man on 3/3/06 at 11:12 AM. ( ) 170.158.175.168

Whats the problum in installing a different moter?

Not true

This response submitted by Mike on 3/4/06 at 11:10 AM. ( ) 63.232.26.199

I bought all my plans for the drier tumbler off of the Red Green Show.With a little duct tape and ingenuity, Red shows you all you need to know steps 1-10, to convert that old drier into a tumbler wothout spending hundreds. He tumbled and tanned all his own skins for the Possum Lodge. I went ahead and spent the extra .25 cents for the plans to convert my old washing machine into a state of the art pressure tanner. LMAO

Return to Tanning Category Menu