********Tanning question

Submitted by Joe on 3/2/06 at 1:39 PM. ( ) 65.41.55.81

Looking to tan my first Whitetail hide hair onHas anyone used the McKenzie Tan kit? Does it give you a professional look? Does this give you a soft throw?Help

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Joe

This response submitted by Mr.T on 3/2/06 at 1:49 PM. ( ) 64.31.6.206

The McKenzie tan is fantastic. And Easy. However, you need to know that ALL tans dry hard and stiff. All soft leather goes through a breaking process that makes it soft. The after tan oil in the kit helps but you will need to do some work by hand. Hides can be tumbled soft in a large industrial size tumbler, or they can by broken by hand. at www.hidetanning.net on the beginners page is a illistration on breaking hides at home. Or Google a search on " breaking hides at home" and it will take you there.

im not sold on any

This response submitted by paul bunyan on 3/2/06 at 7:48 PM. ( ) 216.108.218.48

Paint on tan for rugs. In my opinion, which we all have, and I dont think you get proper penteration with a paint tan. For rugs and throws I like sumersion tans like lutan, ez 100 etc.

your softest hides-

This response submitted by oldshaver on 3/2/06 at 8:11 PM. ( ) 68.221.48.44

are ones that are kikked, and staked. Your tan has very little to do with it, in my opinion. You can take a hide tanned with pigeon poop, and still make it soft, if you know how. I am not kidding about the tannage, it has been done. Have you ever seen a well worked brain tan hide? Its not the tannin that makes it soft, its the hours of work put into making it soft. I agree with Mr.T, it takes work to make a hide soft.

Return to Tanning Category Menu