Pigeon Poop

Submitted by Gary on 3/2/06 at 9:28 PM. ( sandstonejunkie@yahoo.com ) 207.69.137.26

Oldshaver made me laugh by mentioning this in an earlier post. Did any one else watch the documentary on the tannery in the third world country, I saw it around one week ago, that is their "secret" ingredient for their special tan, I couldn't believe their method of tanning and the conditions that they had to work in, but in the end they ended up with beautiful tanned leather. The workers make from $2 to $5 a day.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

In the 1500 and earlier...

This response submitted by Gina on 3/3/06 at 9:33 PM. ( ) 24.20.207.217

In the midieval times, people used to tan in a mixture of urine and other animal feces to tan thier products. The smell was unbearable. Saw that on TLC on the Worst Jobs of All Time.....it was in line with the outhouse cleaner who had to do his kob in the middle of the night or he would be put in jail if he was seen by anyone while doing it during the day! LOL

poop

This response submitted by TS on 3/4/06 at 8:56 AM. ( ) 209.9.208.7

Isn't the poop just a bate? Surely there are other ingrediants involved?

Poop = Bate!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 3/4/06 at 10:23 PM. ( rittel@mindspring.com ) 4.154.212.204

TS is right - actually the enzymes in the poop is what's important. They break down the waste and produce usable environmental products. Old time leather makers used to use dog feces for that purpose. They line a pit - throw in the feces and water, then add the skins. The enzymes ate away the undissolvable fats in the flesh leaving the skins looser and softer.

Today - we do not get Bate from feces. It's synthetically produced. But it still serves the same purpose.

Return to Tanning Category Menu