Salting question

Submitted by Michelle W on 3/4/06 at 11:27 PM. ( michellestaxidery@zoomshare.com ) 70.144.236.41

I work a full time job durring the day and durring dear season I have very little time to flesh and salt my capes as soon as they walk through the door durring the weekdays. Normally I cape the deer off the head and freeze until I am ready to flesh and salt them. Is this alright? I was told that this would increase the chance of the cape slipping.

I have also been hearing a whole lot about stop rot and want to ask if I could perhaps put some stop rot on the capes as they are thawing? Or is this just a waste of time?

Also after I flesh my capes I rinse them out in a 5 gallon bucket of plain water for about 2 or 3 minutes to get as much blood as I can out of the hair than I let them hang for bout 10 minutes to drain, towel dry them, and salt. I have them on an inclined piece of ply wood. I put bout a 1/4" layer of salt on the board and than lay the capes on it after rubbing salt on the skin and than put another thin layer of salt on top of the hides. I change the salt the next day and than 2 days after that.

This is my first year tanning my capes. I use to use DP and still do on occasion. Wanting to get rid of the DP on deer all together by next season. I want to make sure I am doing everything right so I don't ruin someones cape.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

My way

This response submitted by Mike Stafford on 3/5/06 at 12:43 AM. ( ) 209.214.96.167

Michelle,I have never used DP on any deer mount.I also have another job. I sometimes skin and return to the freezer and never had a problem.I pay attention to how long I leave them out.It is not a good idea to wash the hides.The blood will come out later.Just skin,split the lips,turn ears,remove the meat and salt.After a few hours or the next day salt again.Let the hide drain during the process.Let the hide dry hard.This will lock in the hair.Then rehydrate untill hide soft again.The hide needs to totally rehydrated before you put it in the pickle or you will have a hard time getting back the stretch later.After a couple of days in the safety acid I take out and shave.Place it backe for a couple of days.Then neutralize and tan.I mount a lot of deer every year and seldom,seldom have any trouble.Remember,do not wash before salting.Wash the hide with plain water some before youput it in the pickle.Blood is soluable it will not affect the pickle.Hope this helps.

Michelle

This response submitted by David Patton on 3/5/06 at 6:30 AM. ( ) 12.76.210.55

You don't need to have a layer of salt under and over the hide. Just salt the hide with the good instructions Mike gives and roll it up on the inclined board overnight. Salt is cheap, but why waste it in that manner? And ditto on the washing comment from Mike. You will get the blood out later in the pickle.

I cape and freeze

This response submitted by Laurier on 3/5/06 at 8:02 AM. ( houlel@onlink.net ) 209.105.208.237

I have minimum 1 year waiting list, I cape out the deer heads and sqeeze all the air out of the fur,then freeze it as is never had any problems

I don't tan my own capes...

This response submitted by Michelle W on 3/5/06 at 9:11 AM. ( ) 70.144.236.41

I don't tan my own capes. I am sending them to Carolina Fur Dressors. I was under the impression tanneries didn't want all that blood in the hair because it can stain white areas on the cape and/or hides.

don't wash blood out in pickle

This response submitted by John W. on 3/5/06 at 10:06 AM. ( ) 12.215.62.206

Skinning your deer and then freezing won't hurt anything,I do it all the time,butwashing your hide before you put your skin in the pickle is a must.The pickle will usually set some of the blood in the cape and you'll have a time trying to comb the blood out of the white hairs-sometimes you can get it out,but most often its sets in the cape and your stuck with it.I've done this so I know,that's why Iwash all the blood out of my skins before going to the pickle.

i have NEVER...

This response submitted by terryr on 3/5/06 at 1:26 PM. ( ) 12.207.33.102

had the pickle set bllod on fur - white or otherwise - i feel it does just the opposit - release blood - i use krowtann

We use a tannery too

This response submitted by NB on 3/6/06 at 12:16 AM. ( ) 65.169.207.94

Michelle - we also use a tannery, but we do wash our hides with lysol/water and then rinse before putting in the salt. We receive wet tans, so we try to have them fairly cleaned before sending to the tannery. We've never had any problems and I'd just rather send out a clean hide - at least I know it's going to come back clean as well.

freezing v. salting

This response submitted by Jimmy on 3/12/06 at 12:59 PM. ( ) 207.200.116.10

Your deer capes will be OK if they get froze promptly. When you freeze, it helps to lay the cape in your freezer until it is almost frozen, an hour or two, THEN remove, fold/roll, skin to skin/hair to hair, face out, bag and seal, and back into the freezer. If you roll up a "hot" cape in a plastic bag, face in the middle, and throw it in the freezer, the center of the package will not be frozen for 2-3 days, greatly increasing the chances of slippage. I have "forgotten" about one here in there, leaving it frozen unbagged for a week or two and had no problems. I make it a point to get capes in salt when fresh. Freezer space and time to bag, thaw etc are issues, I can get a cape of the skull, all parts turned and into the salt and walk away from it in under 30 minutes. Sometimes it takes me that long to clear off the top of the freezer. Just the way I do it, it only sleep I'm missing.

I don't wash, that happens in the rehydrate bath. If you are concerned about cleanliness, use more than one pickle drum. I use a number of them: initial pickling, then one after the first shave and different barrels for greasy and non-greasy hides.

Hope some of this helps.

Return to Tanning Category Menu