Washing, Salting, Tannery

Submitted by Michelle W on 3/5/06 at 11:20 AM. ( michellestaxidermy@zoomshare.com ) 70.144.236.41

Ok from what a gather from the post I made yesterday and searching the archives I Don't wash my capes befor I salt dry them and send them to the tannery?

Does the tannery take care of that once they recieve the hides. I would think thet 99% of the blood is going to be removed when they put the capes in a rehydration bath at the tannery any way.

Also, all I need to do is rub salt into the skin side of the hide and put it on an incline and let them drain. I don't need to put a layer of salt under or ontop of the hide inorder to keep the majority of the moisture off the hide?

When do you fold the hide? After it dries hard?

Return to Tanning Category Menu

make

This response submitted by Grafton on 3/5/06 at 2:09 PM. ( ) 69.21.102.51

a note on the packing slip to the tannery if you have very bloody skins. No need to wash deep capes before salting. Rub plenty of salt onto the flesh side only. drain. next day shake off excess and salt again. let it dry, fold it before it dries hard.

Why don't

This response submitted by Michelle W on 3/5/06 at 10:25 PM. ( ) 70.144.236.41

Why don't you want to rub salt into the hair?

Because

This response submitted by John on 3/5/06 at 10:33 PM. ( ) 24.243.46.224

it is not necessary. Tell us why you would want to rub salt into the hair? On the incline the moisture that is in the hair will run out or dry. If you pack it too tight in salt the moisture has no where to go. As Grafton said, rub the salt into the skin side only, salt does absolutely nothing for the hair. If you are talking about deer and antelope hair and you go rubbing it with salt you are going to break the hair off too. While the skins are at the tannery most, if not all of the blood will come out in the pickle and definitely all of it will come out in the tumblers.

I figgured

This response submitted by Michelle W on 3/6/06 at 6:24 PM. ( ) 167.196.169.206

It kept the majority of the moisture off of the hair roots. The hides I salted last night, I fleshed them down and rubbed salt all over the skin side. Than I hung the over a 1" x 2" bout 6 hours later i shook off the wet salt and salted them again. Tonight when i go home I am going to rub them down again....

Return to Tanning Category Menu