Bruce Rittel, Help!

Submitted by Shane on 3/6/06 at 11:19 PM. ( ) 4.154.130.157

Or anyone else for that matter. After dry tumbling the hides, the skin side is not evenly smooth. It is hard for me to describe, but the skin is all broken up in little squares, not really wrinkles. The skin is soft, it just looks like it was all wadded up, kind of like a shirt you pick up out of the dirty clothes. What part of the step(s) am I not doing right? The hair side looks fine, I just want the skin side to look smooth. Thanks for your help.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Ok - it's my turn - how did you finish it?

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 3/7/06 at 1:12 AM. ( rittel2mindspring.com ) 207.69.137.26

I've got to know how you finished it. After tanning - how did you handle it? It sounds a lot like an "alligator" effect that sometimes happens to the skin side - but knowing what you did after oiling it is important in trying to figure out what went wrong. Thanks.

OK, Here we go

This response submitted by Shane on 3/7/06 at 4:21 PM. ( ) 4.154.129.80

After I pull hides out of the tan I rinse off, hang them to dry 80% and then oil them, turn inside out & hang them for 8 hours, then tumble for 4 hours. Please let me know when you can if there is something I need to know, thanks.

OK - here's what I do!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 3/8/06 at 12:12 AM. ( rittel@mindspring.com ) 207.69.139.150

After tanning - rinse them - them drain them for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Then apply your oil. After applying the oil - dont hang them - fold them like a towel. Dont roll them! Leave them this way for 3-4 hours or overnight - then hang them to dry.

When 95% dry - then work them soft!

Thanks Bruce

This response submitted by Shane on 3/8/06 at 12:19 AM. ( ) 4.154.131.76

I will give that a try and let you know if that solves it.

Return to Tanning Category Menu