Bear rug smell

Submitted by Cathy Perryman on 3/8/06 at 10:02 AM. ( cathyjpn924@yahoo.com ) 209.131.75.14

I picked up my bear rug last night and once I got it hung on the wall I noticed it smells. Is there anywhay to make it smell less or eleminate the smell. I do not know the procedure that the taxidermist used to tan hide.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Does it smell like

This response submitted by Doug on 3/8/06 at 10:30 AM. ( ) 12.40.253.105

nasty randcid grease? If so, you might want to get use to it. That may be a sign that your taxidermist cut corners and did not degrease the hide.

Sorry to break the news to you this way.

Question how it was tanned

This response submitted by Mary's Wholesale Rugmaking on 3/8/06 at 11:48 AM. ( halflingrugger@cox.net ) 68.2.189.197

I have had customers bring rugs to me with the same problem that were done by another taxidermist and they all were home tanned. Upon taking some of these apart, they still had meat on them, some were raw dried skins. Commercial tanning is the only way to tan a skin for a rug. Sorry for your loss!

Mary Said It All

This response submitted by Old Fart on 3/8/06 at 12:32 PM. ( ) 64.122.57.61

The only thing that you could have added was what you paid to have the rug done. That might explain a lot!

try hair sheen

This response submitted by terryr on 3/9/06 at 12:20 AM. ( ) 12.207.33.102

d

mary

This response submitted by Laurier on 3/10/06 at 8:04 AM. ( houlel@onlink.net ) 209.105.208.242

Mary I've HOME TANNED hundreds of bear skins, NEVER OILY if you know what your doing If your tanning anything ,you need a proper tumbler.
If rugs are beeing done and are still raw,or meat and fat on it,
then that is very poor workmenship.Don't knock what you don't know.

Laurier

This response submitted by Mary's Wholesale Rugmaking on 3/10/06 at 9:58 AM. ( halflingrugger@cox.net ) 68.2.189.197

Actually, if you re-read my post I was just STATING THE FACT that every rug presented to me with the type of problem the initial poster was inquiring about was a HOME TANNED skin. This is not an uneducated quess, this is a FACT! After 17 years of rugmaking I think I am very qualified to state what I have and I do know that a commercially tanned skin does make for a much better quality finished product for rugs. You are correct in stating there are different levels in workmanship,though. My professional OPIONION is home tanning is fine for a skin going on a form, but for a quality rug the skin must be commercially tanned! All due respect, you may have tanned hundreds of bear skins, but I have rugged,repaired and re-rugged thousands!
Kindest Regards

Laurier, why is it...

This response submitted by George on 3/10/06 at 11:08 AM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.100.72

..you need to be the expert on shoddy work? Mary's explanation were closer to the absolute truth than you will ever admit to even yourself. A vast majority of taxidermists don't have a clue about tanning and when they try it and something goes amiss, they're lost. I'm glad you can tan for yourself and get "good" results, but the vast majority of taxidermists USE COMMERCIAL TANNERIES FOR BEAR RUGS. A shop in a basement or a shed is hardly going to have the equipment nor the facilities to tan a bear. And REGARDLESS, this skin in this post was NOT TANNED PROPERLY or more than likely, not tanned at all. And if you actually knew ANYTHING, you'd have picked on someone other than Mary about her expertise on bear rugs. She's probably done more of them for herself than you've ever done for customers.

Thanks for help

This response submitted by cathy perryman on 3/10/06 at 11:51 AM. ( ) 209.131.75.14

well , it has been a few days and since the rug has been hanging on the wal, the smell has gotten better but still there, I know this guy that did it does tan his own hides. How would I tell if it wasnt one right other then the smell. It is a beautiful rug.

The smell is usually the give-away

This response submitted by George on 3/10/06 at 3:36 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.65

If your rug doesn't have a sweet lanolin smell or a clean fresh smell, chances are that it's not professionally tanned or hasn't been tanned properly.

Cathy...

This response submitted by Mary's Wholesale Rugmaking on 3/10/06 at 4:49 PM. ( halflingrugger@cox.net ) 68.2.189.197

...the only way you could know,for sure, the condition of the skin, would be to take the rug apart and view the skin. Even if the skin is in poor tanned condition the smell should somewhat subside over a period of time. But do expect the smell to strongly resurface when the humidity is high. Also, if indeed there is any flesh ,even a minute amount, left on that skin, you can expect a visit from the not so friendly and dreaded dermestids. They will commence to eating on said areas of the rug and when their feast is completed, they will make their way to any other mounts in your home.

George I agree

This response submitted by Laurier on 3/11/06 at 8:14 AM. ( houlel@onlink.net ) 209.105.208.230

George I agree with you My coment was NOT picking on Mary at all
but their is many people that read this.
The biggest problem tanning bears is do to improper degreasing,this is the reason I DO NOT SALT SKINS. When you salt down a bear skin or any skin with simular fat,the oils from the skin gets looked in the skin and is very dificult to remove. My apoligy if I came across the wrong way Mary.And yes you are right about home tanning,same reason why I get taxidermist to call me for information.It is easier to comunicate with a person over the phone then to type on a computer.

Response i received from taxidermist

This response submitted by cathy perryman on 3/13/06 at 1:08 PM. ( ) 209.131.75.14

you all have been a great help. I am still upset that I have this bear rug that is now smelling up my house. I paid $450.00 for this rud and it looks great but I can't handle the smell. I contacted the taxzidermist and was told to just spray it with freebreeze and it should get better. He also stated if I really am unhappy to bring it back and he will fix it? HOw would that work? He does tan own hides so I am thinking that is the problem. These dermestids that some one spoke of what is that? are they bugs?

Return to Tanning Category Menu