Mold on wet tanned skins

Submitted by AL on 3/9/06 at 1:20 AM. ( ) 205.234.63.156

I just receive a batch of wet tanned capes and skins from my tannery and several of them have mold spots on them. What is the best way to treat them before mounting? I can't seem to find anything in the archives. It looks to me like they were left lying around in a damp environment and not frozen as they should have been while waiting for the rest of the dry tanning order to be completed. I would appreciate some advice. Thanks

Return to Tanning Category Menu

AL...

This response submitted by tomdes on 3/9/06 at 7:18 AM. ( mapletax@twcny.rr.com ) 148.183.241.15

The mold won't hurt anything, you can just soak in water for an hour or so and it will go away. I usually wash my capes just prior to mounting them, this would also clean off the mold. I've seen it a few times before in my stuff and it hasn't affected the outcome of the mount at all...

bacteracide

This response submitted by John W. on 3/9/06 at 9:43 AM. ( ) 12.215.62.206

Al,in the video tanning with Mark Daniels and Mark Mclain, they suggest applieing bacteracide to the skins with a rag-these skins are dry salted but I don't see why this wouldn't work for your wet tanned skins.

Return to Tanning Category Menu