tanning marten ,weasels, squirrels

Submitted by daryn on 3/10/06 at 12:12 AM. ( ) 64.114.152.42

when tanning small animals, squirrels weasels marten etc..
is there a simple formula for liqua tan ,is it absolutely neccesary to pickle or can i just flesh and apply the liqua tan? i just find the pickle formulas confusing and way to many different options .
please help

daryn

Return to Tanning Category Menu

i forgot to add

This response submitted by daryn on 3/10/06 at 12:15 AM. ( ) 64.114.152.42

i have even heard of guys using just straight methyl hydrate for tanning small animals.iguess what im getting at is i searching for a very simple method that works. any info will be appreciated
daryn

Daryn

This response submitted by Derek on 3/10/06 at 12:53 AM. ( bowserwildlifecreations@alltel.net ) 162.39.25.53

not to sound rude but why is it that everybody wants to do shortcuts?, not sure about the liqua tan, since I've never tried it but if it says to pickle than why not pickle? these people go to great lengths to develope tans that work well and are dependable, do you seriously think if just soaking a hide in methyl hydrate (whatever that is lol) would produce a good tan, bruce Rittel, glen conley, the fellas from Knoblochs, and many others would waste their time working out better formulas? I'm not trying to single you out, your post just happened to strike a nerve, there are certain procedures that should be foloowed to the T and following the instuctions on whatever your particular recommends is the way to go. And really are pickles all that confusing? 1lb of salt per gallon and keep the ph at 1.5 to 2, go to the hardware store and get some wood bleach almost pure oxalic acid, one tablespoon per gallon would get you close enough to test your ph anyway. good luck, Derek

throw them in denatured alcohol

This response submitted by terryr on 3/10/06 at 12:53 AM. ( ) 12.207.33.102

you can

This response submitted by John W. on 3/10/06 at 9:31 AM. ( ) 12.215.62.206

Daryn,I do this with squirrels all the time.I flesh and apply Liqua-tan,let it soak in the skin for about 30 minutes-paper towel the excess oil-and then mount.

derek

This response submitted by daryn on 3/10/06 at 11:48 AM. ( ) 64.114.152.8

derek
is your pickle formula really that simple?and how long must you keep in the pickle before you apply the liqua tan? and when you take out of the pickle they say to neutralize can i just rinse really well with water?
thanks daryn

Daryn

This response submitted by Derek on 3/11/06 at 12:36 AM. ( bowserwildlifecreations@alltel.net ) 166.102.39.23

first and formost, i apologize for my rant last night, it wasnt really directed at you personally, but yes it really is pretty much that simple, i use one tablespoon of wood bleach (oxalic acid) and 1 pound of salt per gallon of water, now I still recommend testing your ph because your water may differ from mine as i use well water. I usually leave my skins in the pickle for 3 days checking the ph regularly, then i flesh them well then back in the pickle for 24 more hours, then neutralize, then tan. for your squirrels and such, i would think about 15 to 20 minutes in the neutralizer should be enough. neutralizer is simply 1 tablespoon of regular baking soda per gallon of water. belive it or not it really is that simple. if you have any other questions feel free to email me personally, again good luck, Derek

Return to Tanning Category Menu