Whitetail Hide Color

Submitted by Skip on 3/11/06 at 12:02 PM. ( ) 24.3.71.169

I have a question concerning a whitetail mount. I had shot a buck which had a patch of red on top of the head. I assume that this was just a part of the summer coat that did not change for the winter. I have gotten my mount back and noticed that the top was not quite as red as what it once was. Is this just due to the tanning process or did my taxidermist perhaps give me the wrong hide with my mount?

Return to Tanning Category Menu

it shouldn't have changed

This response submitted by John W. on 3/11/06 at 7:46 PM. ( ) 12.215.62.206

We taxidermist have to contend with this all the time.Could be you enhanced the color more in your mind than what it actually was while waiting for your deer.I really doubt your taxidermist would have given you the wrong cape and the tanning process shouldn't affect the color either.I'm not trying to be smart with you cause I have the enhancment problem when it comes to catching catfish-they seem to get bigger everytime I tell the story.

I've noticed the same thing myself

This response submitted by GregC on 3/12/06 at 10:37 PM. ( ) 192.234.159.5

Might possibly be something that they've been rubbing on. Maybe tree sap or the bark? Never been a drastic change though.

Wrong Hide!

This response submitted by Cy H. on 3/24/06 at 7:34 AM. ( ) 66.73.13.136

I sent my hide to Sebrings. I received back a hide of a deer that was so small that it was barely rid of its spots. I have tried NUMEROUS times to reach Dave and no one answers the phone. I had no trouble getting trough when I ordered. So.......be very aware of what you send this company!

Return to Tanning Category Menu