buck creek fair field ia. versus auto tanner

Submitted by rs on 3/14/06 at 1:51 PM. ( ) 64.136.27.225

does any know anything about this place. i think there in fairfield ia.phone #.price for deer cape. quality and turn around time. i tried orangeland<<<<<<<<< google and phone operator.i'm thinking about sending my hides out to save time or should i save my 45-50 bucks a deer cape and buy a autotanner. are they as conveniant as people say seems like the 4-5 guys i talked to about the auto tanner's are inexperienced rinehart graduates thatdon't know any better. ps i get 50-70 deer a year. thanks to all who respond and god bless.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

whoops

This response submitted by rs on 3/14/06 at 2:09 PM. ( ) 64.136.27.225

that's buckcreek tannery infairfield ia.sorry

Here's my take

This response submitted by James Parrish on 3/14/06 at 3:39 PM. ( ) 204.211.171.11

If you have the spare time to tan hides, then the auto tanner would probably be a good investment. I have never used one, but I have seen the leather and it looks like a nice tan. That being said, I'll tell you what I do. I send my hides out. I just skin them off the head and send them frozen. They are sent back to me wet tanned for right around $60. When you factor in time, tanning chemicals, fleshing blade regrinding, etc you are money ahead to send them out. I have never heard of the tannery that you mentioned, but try them out and see.

I do

This response submitted by Russell on 3/14/06 at 4:00 PM. ( life_like_taxidermy@yahoo.com ) 72.155.177.223

all my own in house tanning except for feral hogs that come from another country and they are sent off.
That way I can keep up with them better and I know what is happing to each one of them and most of the time they are done in 4-5 days and then mounted. really saves on my turn around time and I also send off all my rug work as that it is soft tanned and I dont do that.
I use Carolina Fur for my tanning and they are great.

thanks james and russell

This response submitted by rs on 3/14/06 at 5:16 PM. ( ) 64.136.27.225

james can you please give me the name and # for your tannery you use is that 60 total $$ for splitting and turning everything tanning and shipping if it is i'll try them do they do good work as far as no holes in cape or at least minimal damage.thanks again.

Carolina Fur Dressing

This response submitted by James Parrish on 3/14/06 at 10:25 PM. ( ) 68.156.52.144

Call Carolina Fur Dressing in Raleigh, NC (919) 231-9933. A couple of their shavers do the turning/fleshing/splitting as a side business. Ask for Jeremy...he's one of them. I forgot the other guy. They charge $20 to split/turn/flesh/salt and will hand deliver your hides to CFD. CFD charges $38 to wet tan. Return shipping is extra.

Return to Tanning Category Menu