Green salted hides

Submitted by kyle on 3/14/06 at 6:43 PM. ( twintrades12@yahoo.com ) 68.191.160.86

I have 6 green hides that i salted and dryed out in my basement. my question is how long will they last? I did not flesh them or any thing. Just layed them out flat and salted them till dry. 3-4 changes of salt. Basment is damp cus spring is nearing. Will fix that this weekend though. Any advice? And yes i checked the achives but dident find anything.
Thanks in advance
Kyle

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Did you

This response submitted by Russell on 3/14/06 at 7:59 PM. ( life_like_taxidermy@yahoo.com ) 72.155.177.223

scrape off all the fat and Meat? Split the ears,eyes and mouth.
If not then they will probley ruin and be worthless unless you are real lucky. If you turned the ears and fleshed then when they are hard dry they will last for years.
If you need more help email me

If .....

This response submitted by Old Fart on 3/15/06 at 9:48 AM. ( ) 64.122.137.53

......You didn't flesh them, they'll last until the bugs find them. That'll be much sooner than if they had been properly fleshed before salting. If thry are any more than flat hides you will probably already have problems, like Russell stated.

Since you apparently were very diligent in your salting, why weren't you as diligent in your reading? A little SEARCH here would most likely yielded the instructions "flesh and salt" a couple hundred times. Please note, that's not "salt and flesh"! I realize that those instructions can be quite complicated for some, but the reason they are given that way is because......It actually works when it's done that way. Flesh FIRST, so that the salt can get to all parts of the skin and actually dry the skin.

Not capes hides

This response submitted by Kyle on 3/15/06 at 4:21 PM. ( ) 68.191.160.86

Did these before i got into taxidermy about 3 months ago. I know what to do now. Before i was just winging it with a book about 100 years old. OLD FART you dont have to try and make people seem stupid. you know some poeple are JUST BEGINERS. people do make mistakes when learing thats how you LEARN from them. Think next time before you reply to a post.

Kyle

This response submitted by John on 3/15/06 at 9:41 PM. ( ) 24.243.46.224

If you are reading a book that is 100 years old then it darn sure would have said to completely flesh the skin before salting. Also, before you start asking questions you might want to do some of your own research before jumping in over your head. And yet another thing, the elders like Old Fart, George Roof, Glen Conley, Old Shaver, and others don't have to answer your questions either. Have you checked to see what it would actually cost you to go learn this? Free info is free info whether you think he's being mean to you or not. So toughen up kiddo!

Kyle, You Don't Have To Learn The Hard Way

This response submitted by Old Fart on 3/15/06 at 11:34 PM. ( ) 64.122.57.92

John was right, even an old book would have had the correct sequence described in it. Trappers don't use salt, but they flesh the skins before air drying them. Just do a little more research before you start something. You've learned a valuable lesson if you learn that. Now go ahead and rehydrate your hides and see if you can salvage them.

Dident mean to sound so bad

This response submitted by Kyle on 3/16/06 at 5:21 PM. ( ) 68.191.160.86

THe book i had was missing pages and the print is messed up. I was just messin around with my first hides. Now i know what to do. Had several of them turn out great. All thanks to the info i found on here. and from responces from people like oldfart. So thanks all of you.

Return to Tanning Category Menu