why salt before pickle

Submitted by vincent on 3/15/06 at 7:55 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.203

the pickle kills the bacteria so why salt does it set the hair better?

thanks
vince

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Vince, did you check the archives?

This response submitted by George on 3/15/06 at 8:04 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.116.9

But we already know the answer. If you check you'll find volumes behind that orange SEARCH icon. It's covered quite indepth what the purpose of salt is. Salt is not intended for bacteria elimination.

thanks

This response submitted by vincent on 3/15/06 at 8:25 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.14

no i did not was being lazy thanks george i will look

skip the salting and go straight to krowtann

This response submitted by terryr on 3/16/06 at 1:48 AM. ( ) 12.207.33.102

vincent while your looking into the salt look for stoprot al

This response submitted by paul e on 3/16/06 at 7:21 AM. ( amfpaul@bellsouth.net ) 65.6.117.76

one will enhance the other
stop rot is the first line of defense for me now
i can put it on the face hair side the ears.nose,eyes etc. even before i take it off the head
then whether i use salt or not its already better off
look it up in the archives
paul e

Vincent, either you salt and dry the skin or take plan B

This response submitted by Matthew on 3/17/06 at 1:09 AM. ( fishandfurs@hotmail.com ) 69.153.57.69

Salting and drying a skin works well if you have a few skins you do per year and if you do have the time do do so you should either salt dry to set the hair on the skins or take plan B whihc involves you using a alum pickling solution, I know I wili receive crticism for this and to me go ahead. It works well it eats some of the memebrane and fat off the skin. If you are going to do this flesh the skin out really good but first don't forget to turn eyes ears lips and all of that good stuff. Trim toe bones out inside foot then rough flesh most of the red meat fat and membrane and throw the skin straight into the alum pickle, most tanneries do this now days it can cut your labor in half. After prickling always make sure to neutralize the acid. If tanneries were to salt dry all of ther skins teh'd have a mess on ther hands with the large number of skins they recieve besides at a tanery all salted dried skins and capes go straight inot the pickling solution no questions asked.

Return to Tanning Category Menu