Antler Restoration!

Submitted by JC on 3/16/06 at 6:22 PM. ( ) 72.20.73.184

I have a very old set of whitetail antlers with very long stickers on each side. My problem is that they are starting to crack along the main beam close to the base. I was wondering if there is a way to cover up these cracks and make it look as natural as possible? Also what should i use to stain them with, I have heard of so many different methods of recoloring that I dont know which one to do!

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Taxidermy Today

This response submitted by jason on 3/16/06 at 7:06 PM. ( ) 206.40.107.82

last issue from start to finish,if you dont have it, get it

Paint them

This response submitted by Dean on 3/16/06 at 9:37 PM. ( ) 65.54.155.48

I've answered this question a few time before so I'm guessing it's in the archives by now. Paint the antlers in flat white house paint. Let them dry. This fill in the cracks and gives you a nice base to work with. Then use wood stain to color the antlers to you liking. Spray a flat finish on them when it's dry. Deft works good

use one of the apoxy products.

This response submitted by John W. on 3/17/06 at 9:29 AM. ( ) 71.30.8.57

JC,Iwould use either apoxy sculpt or magic sculpt in the cracks,just use a little water on your fingertips to blend in.I would use some kind of bone color on the mixture first and then an oil based paint that is close to the antler color.

epoxy sculpt takes to long

This response submitted by Dean on 3/18/06 at 7:11 PM. ( ) 65.54.154.12

I disagree with John on using epoxy sculpt. No offense John. Epoxy sculpt works great on most repairs and tines etc. Time is money. I don't know if he ever restored weather checked antlers before but to fill in all those weathered cracks with epoxy sculpt would take you forever. Besides that It would be to shiny and won't take the stain evenly between the natual areas and the epoxy areas. Flat white house paint fills in and seals the cracks.Just like on old weathered wood. The wood stain will soak into the paint a little and give it a nice natural look. Try different stains or mix them to get the desired blend you want. Be ready to wipe off excess quickly, especially toward the antler tips. You don't want them to dark if you are trying to get a polished look at the tips.

Return to Tanning Category Menu