My new fleshing machine

Submitted by Bill H on 3/16/06 at 10:50 PM. ( ) 70.186.176.84

Just finished my forth WT cape on my Dakota flesher, does a beautiful job ,I have been doing them by hand since i started in this business,20 years ago, it used to take me about three hours by hand just finished this last cape in about three hours but with a much better job,a lot more even and much thinner. just wondering how long it takes you more experianced folks .i wish i would have bought one when i first started, my wife and I are like kids with a new toy.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

from back of cape to front of face 45 minutes

This response submitted by terryr on 3/16/06 at 11:43 PM. ( ) 12.207.33.102

i am no speed demon but i do the face as much as possible

about 20-30 minutes

This response submitted by John W. on 3/17/06 at 8:58 AM. ( ) 12.215.62.206

It takes me about 20-30 minutes on the hide/neck area,I do as much as the face on the machine as I can,then I take my time doing the eyes and nose/lips by hand and I take about 45 minutes to finish.The quality of work that you can do on the machine just beats the heck out of doing it by hand and saves a lot of time to boot.

You aint kiddin!

This response submitted by Kristi on 3/17/06 at 12:13 PM. ( ) 144.9.8.21

I just got my Dakota in January. Once I finally got the guards set right, it usually takes me about half an hour or a little more to shave the whole deer cape (pickled), face and all. I shaved an elk cape the other day and it took about an hour (more or less). Those suckers are thick and heavy! My arms felt like speghetti when I got done.

I also think it does a beautiful job, especially for flat hides that you plan on breaking for rugs. It leaves nice smooth finish that you can leave exposed.

Enjoy your new toy!

Return to Tanning Category Menu