salting then refreezing

Submitted by vincent on 3/25/06 at 4:33 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.6

i have a few capes i am wanting to salt dry then refreeze until i have time to put in the pickle and tan is this ok. or can i pickle and before doing the final shaving and repickle can i freeze at this point i would rather pickle and then freeze but dont know it this is safe for the cape

thanks for any advice

Return to Tanning Category Menu

why freeze

This response submitted by john on 3/25/06 at 5:09 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.138

once it is salt dried it can stay out no need to put in freezer

ditto

This response submitted by John W. on 3/25/06 at 5:37 PM. ( ) 12.215.62.206

Vincent,not trying to be smart,but you don't freeze a salt dried skin.

Vincent salted dried skins do not need to be frozen

This response submitted by Matthew on 3/25/06 at 8:19 PM. ( fishandfurs@hotmail.com ) 69.153.64.87

Vincent,

Salted dried sins do not need to be frozen just store them in a cool dry place like in your shop basement garage etc.Then just pickle them when you are ready to do so salt dried skins are fine. This is why trappers send them parcel post or priority because they will not spoil. Keep them away from the bugs though.

Good Luck with your tanning.

If...

This response submitted by Old Fart on 3/26/06 at 11:56 AM. ( ) 64.122.137.47

...You have the freezer space, there is no reason not to store them there, if it's going to be a while before you get to them. Just get the capes as dry as possible. The freezer is a very dry environment and the capes will not rehydrate from humidity like they will sometimes if you leave them out for an extended period of time. And the bugs won't bother them in the freezer.

Return to Tanning Category Menu