Tanning Beaver Tips

Submitted by Brian Fajen on 3/25/06 at 9:10 PM. ( BrianFajen@aol.com ) 205.188.116.196

A buddy and I thought it would be neat to hold over a few beaver pelts and tan them this spring for a first time tanning project. Thinking now that might have been a bigger project that we bargained for. I have ordered Rittel's EZ Tan 2000 kit as I have heard good things.

My pelt is currently fleshed and salted. It has a few nicks that will require stitching and I am wondering at what point should I do this. I want to make a rug with this large pelt so I am also looking for any advice on the best way to get a nice shape.

Thanks in advance for anyone willing to help.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

TIPS ^^^^^

This response submitted by ej on 3/25/06 at 9:30 PM. ( . ) 216.114.124.121

YOUR SHAPE WILL COME FROM THE SKINNING JOB YOU DID. NOT FROM SOME SUPER MAGIC GENE OUT OF THE TANNING BOTTLE. BRUCE'S KITS ARE WELL RECEIVED FOR GOOD REASON. EVEN AFTER YOU BOTCH THE TANNING. FEAR NOT. B&J S RUGMAKING CAN FIX YOU A QUALITY RUG FROM YOUR PELT. VISIT EBAY #4443398115 TO SEE ONE. OR CALL KEN AT BETTY'S 636 677 0012 AND HAVE THEM MAKE YOU ONE. THEY CAN SEW THE NICKS FOR YOU TOO. PROBABLY ADD ABOUT 3.00 TO THE BILL THOUGH. I THINK THEY CHARGE 39.00 PER FOOT. HEAD TO BASE OF TAIL..GOOD LUCK!

second

This response submitted by Lee Wolford on 3/25/06 at 9:35 PM. ( westernriverstaxidermy@verizon.net ) 70.110.47.34

that, B-J's is the only way to go as far as im concerned!

Return to Tanning Category Menu