Mr. Rittel

Submitted by Stub on 3/27/06 at 12:49 AM. ( ) 66.163.140.237

Im using a saftee acid pickel mixed up according to your instruction, but im not getting a very good swell especially on my short hair capes. I do let my capes dry hard becasue I dont tan until midwinter, I keep my ph adjusted well, any ideas on what I could be doing wrong. Thanks Bruce

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Not Bruce

This response submitted by Frank E Kotula on 3/27/06 at 6:17 AM. ( basswtrout@msn.com ) 71.161.241.90

But I never got a major swell on my early archery deer. Their still thin skinned at this time of year. The reason I feel is because of the rut. When that time of year comes around I then see a major change in thickness of my hides and then forth more swelling in the pickle.
So my only assumption is the time of year has all to do with it. Summer coat faces winter coat. The same goes for mammals (prime fur)

It's definitely the time of year!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 3/27/06 at 7:25 AM. ( rittel@mindspring.com ) 207.69.136.200

The time of the year has a direct effect on the thickness of the skin. Most bow deer are thin skinned until they get their longer hair - it's the same way with other mammels. Trappers will wait until the animals will "prime" or get their fullest coat, and likewise the skin gets thicker. Otherwise the aniamls have thin or short fur, and the flesh is very thin. Unprime furs when skinned - the flesh has a "blue" appearance - and this is also true of the capes you are trying to "swell". When you skin prime animals - the flesh takes on a "whitish" appearance.

Return to Tanning Category Menu