left over hide scraps

Submitted by jon on 3/27/06 at 11:49 PM. ( rjswaney@vfr.net ) 66.81.38.22

I was just wondering what some of you may do with the left over hide scraps when you trim it off a shoulder mount? I have given a life time supply to the local fly fishung shop, but I don't have any other ideas for them. Most of my hides are wet tanned, so they dry stiff. If any one has any helpful suggestions or alternate uses for the stuff I would greatly appreciate your ideas. Yes, I checked the archives but found nothing helpful on this subject. Thank you very much for your time and/or suggestions.
Jon

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Options

This response submitted by Kristen on 3/28/06 at 4:44 AM. ( ) 12.202.2.234

My nephew went to camp at a park near our house and I gave them a few scraps from different animals. They were very appreciative. Maybe a local scout troup would be interested?

Scraps

This response submitted by RD on 3/28/06 at 7:49 AM. ( ) 129.42.161.36

My wife works in the local school district and hasn't had a Jr. high science teacher turn any away. Also our county has a couple nature centers in parks and they are also looking for samples to show kids.

Jon

This response submitted by DP on 3/28/06 at 7:37 PM. ( ) 12.2.142.7

Try oiling your wet tan, drying, and then rewetting it. That way your scraps will be soft when they dry, not stiff. You will have to work the scraps some, but the oil should keep the hide from getting stiff.

Give them to Me!

This response submitted by Easton on 3/28/06 at 9:50 PM. ( ) 69.178.193.86

No I'm just kidding, but I am sure that you could probably sell them on this sight. Just list them on the "for sale" side and tell what kind of animal hide it is.

Return to Tanning Category Menu