just tanned coon w/ ez tan slippage

Submitted by john on 3/28/06 at 12:49 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.6

i just pulled the coon out of the tan this mourning and single hairs are falling out on the back of the hide its not clumps but if i run my hand down the back i have about 10-15 hairs on the on my hand. it is still wet, i just oiled it, i left in the pickle(saftee acid) for three days and i shaved(can i shave down to far and cause slippage?)anyway i degreesed for like 4 hrs. and it only said to degreese for 2 hrs. then i pulled the hair on other places and the hair seems to be set good. the only thing i can think of that i did wrong was over shave and or leave the degreser on to long. thanks for any help

john

Return to Tanning Category Menu

coons

This response submitted by ej on 3/28/06 at 3:14 PM. ( toomuchspam.ccc ) 216.114.124.121

yep, i'd say i'm 99.9 % sure you shaved too far. coons are one of the best animals to learn on cause they are hard to destroy [slip]..plus the guard hairs have the deepest roots and are the first to come out when shaving too far. this is my opinion. however you may want to ask an expert such as David Patton on this forum too.
happy tanning!

john-no!

This response submitted by John W. on 3/28/06 at 4:20 PM. ( ) 66.249.50.214

John,never pull hair on a wet skin,you'll always pull some hair out.If your gonna mount him up,allow the skin to dry completely before tugging on the fur.If you did shave down too far put a good glue underneath and allow to dry.

John

This response submitted by DP on 3/28/06 at 7:34 PM. ( ) 12.2.142.7

That is normal for any type hide to have a few hairs come out like you are describing. I am with JW on this one, pull the hair and you will lose hair. You should be OK from here on out.

Shave them too thin and you will lose hair completely in the thin spot. Otherwise, the hair will probably come through the leather before it comes out on the hair side.

Coons are normally not shaved!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 3/29/06 at 12:51 AM. ( rittel@mindspring.com ) 207.69.138.142

Normally - you dont shave a Coon. Perhaps up the neck and faciel areas but not the body. If you do shave - it's likely you also shaved too close to the fur roots and that's why you have the slippage!

Return to Tanning Category Menu