skin ripes easily right out of the tan

Submitted by John on 4/3/06 at 8:19 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.203

Why would the skin tear easily when I take it out of the tan.it seams to rip around the face.Could it be a problem with the pickle.I used saftie acid and the ph was around 1 to 2.Any sugestions John

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Sounds like acid swell on your skin, did you neutralize ?

This response submitted by Matthew on 4/4/06 at 12:14 AM. ( fishandfurs@hotmail.com ) 69.153.64.87

Hello John,

It sounds to me like your skin has acid swell. Did you neutralize the skin proplerly after you pickled it for three days ? If you did not neutralize it with either baking soda or laundry detergent and water. Then it sounds like you have acid swell. If I were you I would check the ph of your skin after you neutralize it.There are ways to go about with the proper neutralizing, but at the moment I would have to look them up to give them to you. Your best bet would be to check the archives, if you don't find anything or if none elese answers Id be glad to help you out here or email it too you. If you feel that it might have acid swell simply lay a ph paper strip on the wet skin and then read it. If the ph paper on the skin turns either red or a bright pink then, you have a skin that was not neutralized and has acid swell. Over time the acid will slowly eat the leather fibers in your skin weakening the strenght of the skins leather this will cause it to tear easily if you try to mount it or break the leather after tanning.

Best Regards

Matthew

Return to Tanning Category Menu