Washing Before Salting

Submitted by Rooster on 4/4/06 at 1:47 PM. ( ) 4.230.129.68

I am new to the taxidermy bussiness but i am already swamped with animals. I have been salting my hides with the idea that the blood will come out. I send my hides off to have them tanned should i start washing the hides before I salt them? I havn't had any capes that were extremely bloody yet but i know its just a matter of time. If i do need to wash what formula do i wash in or just plain water. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Not needed

This response submitted by Frank E Kotula on 4/5/06 at 6:43 AM. ( basswtrout@msn.com ) 72.70.203.161

The only way and only way I would do this is, if I got a fresh cape in that was soaked in blood or just a totally muddy mess that was dripping from all of this. Other wise, it comes out in the rehydrating bath.
Now how to wash it is easy. Rinse with cool water and then get as much moisture out of the hair as you can. You can use a washing machine set on spin, clothes dryer set on cool with some old towles in there or drip drain for about an hour. After this salt as normal.

Thanks

This response submitted by Rooster on 4/5/06 at 11:49 AM. ( Roosterpt1@sbcglobal.net ) 66.141.34.14

I really appreciate the response. thanks again

Return to Tanning Category Menu