Hi, I am writing a report for school about the different factors that effect the quality of deer hides. I feel your responses will give me the best information because you are the professionals that deal with this question everyday. I would appreciate if you could respond to the following questions:
1. I have used a "brush on" tan? (yes or no)
2. I have used a submersible solution tan? (yes or no)
3. I pickle my hides before applying the "brush on" tan? (yes or no)
4. Which tanning method do you prefer? (question 1 or 2)
5. Do you think the climate that the deer is harvested in effects the quality of the tanned hide? (yes or no)
6. Do you think the diet of the deer effects hide quality? (yes or no)
7. Do you think the sex of the deer has an effect on hide quality? (yes or no)
8. For what reason do you use the tanning method you prefer? Please choose one of the following:
a. ease of use
d. final product
e. none of the above
I will very much appreciate any responses. Your professional opinions are very important.
Return to Tanning Category Menu
3. Sometimes "yes", most times "no"
4. Shop tans, paint on, --trophy game, commercial tans
5. No (It MAY effect the hide if the HUNTER screws up)
6. No (unless he starves to death)
7. No (unless you're a buck living in a does body)
8. F --All of the above except "e"
Those are exceptional questions, but most of us live in a set of gray conditions that can change an answer in a split second. Like your last question, I couldn't give you a single reason as the determining factor on selecting the tan I use. It's all those things and at some point, each of them becomes the prime reason, but in the end, it's all of them working together.