FDA Approved Tanning Method and Supplies

Submitted by Michael Drechsler on 4/9/06 at 4:37 PM. ( ) 207.237.42.168

I need to defat rabbit skin and then tan it. The process and supplies need to be FDA approved because it will be used as a membrane which will be used in the mouth. Is there such a way? The skin will be very thin in the final stage and only needs to be tanned so it can get wet/dry multiple times without shrinkage. Does anyone know? Thanks for the help.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Michael, I'm not sure you can get there from here

This response submitted by George on 4/9/06 at 5:21 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.117.14

That "wet and dry multiple times without stretching" might have worked for Johnnie Cochrane in O.J.'s trial, but in reality a tan hide usually contracts as it goes from wet to dry (just like none of us ever expected O.J. to get his hands in gloves that had been wet by blood)

You'll need sterilization for that!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 4/9/06 at 7:27 PM. ( rittel@mindspring.com ) 207.69.138.139

The best tan available for sterilization purposes - or one that can be sterilized above 212 degrees Fahrenhiet - is a Chrome leather retanned using Gluteraldehyde. And - I'm still not sure it's suitable for using it somehow in your mouth! They do use such tanned Sheepskins in Hospitals under a patients legs to prevent bedsores - but it may have limits!

Return to Tanning Category Menu