thinning a cape with krowtann

Submitted by steve on 4/11/06 at 2:02 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.203

I would like to thin or shave my cape after 3 days in the krowtann, then place the cape back in for one more day. Do I need to neutralize first, or just rinse in clean water, thin the cape and back into the krowtann? It would make sense to me to just rinse and thin rather than go through the entire neutralizing step but what do I know. Thanks

STEVE

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Never neutralize to shave.

This response submitted by The Undertaker on 4/11/06 at 2:14 PM. ( ) 12.199.45.183

That is where SLIPPAGE will occur.

You have it totally correct to rinse thin and and go back into the Krowtann.

With any pickle the hide is thinned while pickled.

Follow Krowtann Instructions

This response submitted by Jim F. on 4/11/06 at 3:26 PM. ( taxidermist@taxidermy-art.com ) 209.62.167.7

Well not to piss in anybody's Cornflakes here but I have to dissagree with Undertaked on the part of having to thin while pickled.
The instructions clearly state to neutralize, wash, rinse and then do your final fleshing. If at this time you find the skin not soft and stretchy enough you can reneutralize.
I've done hundreds of whitetail and dozens of Elk this way and not had any slipping problems.
The only problem I ever had was recently on an Elk it came out with a few spots that looked raw yet. After I neutralized, washed, rinsed and did the final shaving, I decided not to take any chances with it so I called Ozark Woods and they told me to either return it to the Krowtann bath that it came out of or mix up a new one. I mixxed up a new one cus I has tossed out the old stuff. Aparently I didn't stir it around enough each day.
By them telling me that, I would assume it would no problem to shave before neutralizing but not necessary.

Jim F.

Does Ozark Woods have a web site?

This response submitted by oldshaver on 4/11/06 at 8:49 PM. ( ) 68.221.76.64

Im starting to agree with George. I thought this stuf was supposed to be easy to use? Whats with all of the questions over the last year? Why aint Brian on here answering these questions?

Steve did not say final fleshing.

This response submitted by The Undertaker on 4/12/06 at 1:07 PM. ( ) 12.199.45.66

It still amazes me how everyone reads into a question.

Also how people cannot follow simple directions.

Return to Tanning Category Menu