Acids on cement

Submitted by Matt Richards on 4/12/06 at 4:32 PM. ( ) 70.98.218.168

The pickle drippings are eating the lime in our cement slap shop floor. How do you all deal with this type of thing?

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Don't let the pickle drip on the concrete

This response submitted by George on 4/12/06 at 4:44 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.116.196

Muriatic acid is what masons use to clean concrete off brick remember? You're going to have to move the pickle someplace else or cover your floor with a good enamel or epoxy paint.

Ah

This response submitted by Matt Richards on 4/12/06 at 5:51 PM. ( ) 70.98.218.168

The KISS program.

Glass Cleaner?

This response submitted by Wayne R on 4/12/06 at 7:39 PM. ( therodds@msn.com ) 65.54.98.105

I'm not really sure this helps or not, but after wiping up small spills with paper towels I spray window cleaner on those damp spots. I sprayed the window cleaner on some litmus paper and found out it was a base a figured it would help neutralize the acid. I don't think you could go wrong with George's response but neutralizing it may help.

George said it

This response submitted by oldshaver on 4/12/06 at 7:50 PM. ( ) 68.221.117.16

Boss does it once a year in the wet room.(epoxy paint)

acids on floor

This response submitted by Fritz on 4/12/06 at 10:34 PM. ( istuffum@netzero.net ) 64.136.49.227

I just went through all that last summer in my tannery, what i did is power washed floor with baking soda than let dry for a couple of days then i layed fiberglass resin and cloth over my entire floor, took me a whole day and cost about $1100 but ive been using it for about 8 months now and it is absolutely the best thing ever i should have done it when i built the tannery. When you get the cloth down and it dries come back in and lay another layer of resin down and sprinkle sand blasting sand down for texture, the great thing is if you happen to break a hole it you simply grind out and reapply resin and cloth. This cured very big spots that were down to the gravel. The epoxy paint wont last six months.

Thanks for all the ideas

This response submitted by Matt Richards on 4/13/06 at 1:37 AM. ( ) 70.98.218.245

We have a pretty large wet-room and move hides around a lot on dollies, so the idea of simply not letting any acid get on the floor isn't likely to work, but I like some of these other ideas, and will probably give them a shot.

I think Fritz hit on it

This response submitted by Hogger on 4/13/06 at 5:04 AM. ( ) 72.234.131.148

You neutralize your acid bath with baking soda so...
Make an even stronger baking soda solution and pour it on the cement. Maybe pour it over towels so the towels hold the water longer on the cement or maybe repeat the treatment. Should work.

Floor size

This response submitted by Fritz on 4/13/06 at 10:44 AM. ( ) 64.136.49.227

Matt, I did my wet room floor and it is 1500 sq ft. and it works excellent, I also put a 10 inch strip of cloth up the walls and resined the walls 2 ft up from floor, now i can wash floor down and not have to worry about the sheet rock, I also did my salt room of 1200 sq ft, its absolutely worth the cost. Works better than any epoxie paint and its a permanent fix to a floor that is breaking apart.

Return to Tanning Category Menu