Does Tanning 12 skins prepare you -

Submitted by oldshaver on 4/18/06 at 8:54 PM. ( ) 68.221.5.32

to open your own tannery? I saw some NICE responses to Shelbys post below, but they were not as straight forward as they should have been, in my opinion. Shelby, you are obdviously young, and have no experience in Taxidermy tanning, and thats ok. But, I think you have hopes and dreams, that you are not ready for yet. Did the tannery you trained with, offer you a job shaving with them? After you took their course, would they let you come back, and shave their customers skins? I bet not. You are moving way too fast, and setting yourself up for a big fall. If you want to open your own Tannery, at least go to work for anothery tannery for a few years, and then give it a try. I know, I am a bad man trying to shoot you down, but that is not my intention. I am only trying to give you the honesty you need, to prevent your failure. You can do it, but you NEED MUCH MORE!

Return to Tanning Category Menu

OS

This response submitted by 9 on 4/18/06 at 9:29 PM. ( ) 216.144.58.64

Should a commercial taxidermy tannery's work include shaving the skin, if the animal is larger then a fox and thicker then a skunk?

This response submitted by Promise Land Tannery on 4/18/06 at 10:18 PM. ( Shelby@promiselandranch.net ) 64.146.187.225

Oldshaver..

I know I can't open a business and start tanning hundreds of skins for other people my first year. That's a given. I can't force people to give their stuff to me. But If they like my work they will send more pieces my way and tell their friends. That is the best advertising for a new business. So far I have had a completely positive response.

I would very much like to spend several years working for a company like North Idaho Fur but as it is right now I can't. The tannery is as an "Extra Income" for the first year or so as I don't expect taxidermists to have faith in me with their customers trophys until I have at least a year or more experience. I dont blame them. For the first year or so I will tan mostly my own stuff for resale at events, fairs, etc. I have several people who would like to see my work once I get set up and send some stuff my way of their own and their customers If they like what they see. I know I have just begun to learn and will never stop learning and working with different skins. I know there are Hundreds of different situations I have never experienced. This doesn't bother me because its life.

If you go into something with unrealistic goals, an attitude of "I can't fail... I'm too good for that" You will fail everytime. You must know that at anytime you can fail and you must always try your hardest to prevent it. This is the way it works.

Thank you for the constructive critiscism.

Shelby
Promise Land Tannery
Okanogan, WA 98840

Shelby...don't be too hard on other people!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 4/19/06 at 2:04 AM. ( rittel@mindspring.com ) 207.69.139.154

I get a lot of inquiries from people like you who have never tanned and are unwilling to get training like you have - that want to tan Buffalo and the large thickly fleshed hides (like Cowhides) - and yes, I discourage them because normally they become so frustrated, they give up and they never want to tan again. You are an exception to this - you have both the determination and perseverance to follow through and want to be successful. Others don't! You are 1 out of 10 (or more) that want to do it and actually succeed! I applaud that!

Too many times on this "Tanning" category - it's much the same way. People attempt to tan - but find their patience with the process, the investment to do the job right, or the amount of time involved is over-whelming - and they give up. So normally we all discourage them and say "send it out to a reputable Tannery".

Even I have been guilty of this same attitude to the point that I have a "copy and paste" that I send to inquiries about Cowhides and Buffalo. I'd rather they first try something that they can be more successful at (like a WT Deerskin) then try a Buffalo or Cowhide for their first go at tanning.

What most attempts lack - is your determination to do it! But be a bit more forgiving to the ones that may have initially discouraged you. The bottom line is they wanted you to attempt something that you would be more successful doing - and based on the knowledge from that experience - you could want to accomplish doing the larger skins. Most people who contribute info on here - are trying to be very helpful. And most of them have already tackled these larger skins and are aware of the problems you may encounter. They arent trying to "put you down"!

Consider yourself exceptional! You have succeeded where others have given up! But dont alienate the people who are best qualified to give you advice. They have been there - done that! You may find they will become your best friends. Tannery people as a rule are very sharing in advice - but don't come on too strong! Many of them have worked hard to accumulate the knowledge they have. In most cases - you will find they are very "likeable" people.

Shelby...don't be too hard on other people!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 4/19/06 at 2:04 AM. ( rittel@mindspring.com ) 207.69.139.154

I get a lot of inquiries from people like you who have never tanned and are unwilling to get training like you have - that want to tan Buffalo and the large thickly fleshed hides (like Cowhides) - and yes, I discourage them because normally they become so frustrated, they give up and they never want to tan again. You are an exception to this - you have both the determination and perseverance to follow through and want to be successful. Others don't! You are 1 out of 10 (or more) that want to do it and actually succeed! I applaud that!

Too many times on this "Tanning" category - it's much the same way. People attempt to tan - but find their patience with the process, the investment to do the job right, or the amount of time involved is over-whelming - and they give up. So normally we all discourage them and say "send it out to a reputable Tannery".

Even I have been guilty of this same attitude to the point that I have a "copy and paste" that I send to inquiries about Cowhides and Buffalo. I'd rather they first try something that they can be more successful at (like a WT Deerskin) then try a Buffalo or Cowhide for their first go at tanning.

What most attempts lack - is your determination to do it! But be a bit more forgiving to the ones that may have initially discouraged you. The bottom line is they wanted you to attempt something that you would be more successful doing - and based on the knowledge from that experience - you could want to accomplish doing the larger skins. Most people who contribute info on here - are trying to be very helpful. And most of them have already tackled these larger skins and are aware of the problems you may encounter. They arent trying to "put you down"!

Consider yourself exceptional! You have succeeded where others have given up! But dont alienate the people who are best qualified to give you advice. They have been there - done that! You may find they will become your best friends. Tannery people as a rule are very sharing in advice - but don't come on too strong! Many of them have worked hard to accumulate the knowledge they have. In most cases - you will find they are very "likeable" people.

Sorry about the second post!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 4/19/06 at 2:13 AM. ( rittel@mindspring.com ) 207.69.137.23

Ooooops!

Bruce

This response submitted by Promise Land Tannery on 4/19/06 at 10:15 AM. ( Shelby@promiselandranch.net ) 64.146.187.241

Bruce,

Although I may have sounded sarcastic or hard on others opinions I meant my first post as a Truthful and sincere statement. Without almost everyone, knowing nothing about me, telling me to send it to a reputable tannery I might have failed. If you or one of the others had told me how to do it(without buying the drums and shaver) I might have tried and succeeded but then had to go take a class on how to do it efficiently because I really do like tanning and want to do this as a business. And without the knowledge gained at school I would never be able to do it.

So again I thank those who didn't have faith in me, you gave me a chance to succeed.

Thanks

Shelby
Promise Land Tannery
Okanogan, WA

9& Shelby

This response submitted by oldshaver on 4/19/06 at 7:50 PM. ( ) 68.221.76.84

9, I shave everything larger than a rat. Its probablly not necessary for home tanning, to shave the small stuf. Break up that membrane, and you will be fine. Shelby, I hope you succeed. The damages and the mistakes you will make in the beginning, will curse your future success. Word of mouth in Taxidermy tanning will make or break you! I am just saying to slow down. Buy some dry salted skins, and practice, practice, practice! Then, hang your open for business sign, and you will have a MUCH better chance at success. Your competition is more than you realize, and you need to have your ducks in a row. Honestly, good luck.

Return to Tanning Category Menu