Frustrated with greasy hides! De-greasing raw coyotes..

Submitted by R .Lee on 4/21/06 at 9:30 PM. ( Schrecken13@hotmail.com ) 67.72.98.83

I've been tanning hides myself for many years, but there's one thing that is a continual fly in my tanning ointment...fat and grease. Now if it's something I have prepared and fleshed myself it seldom (if ever) is an issue, but not long ago I purchased several raw coyote hides that are loaded with more grease than the greasiest piece of fried chicken you could ever find!

These coyotes had been stretched and dried trapper-style (they are just for craft/wall hanger use and I paid very little for them so I'm not expecting to make silk purses out of sow's ears) and I'm going to tan them soon. I've purchased other air-dried pelts that have had little grease (even raccoons which are often greasy) and I've sucessfully tanned those after being treated with commercial degreasers. But in the past knowing that if all grease is not removed it will make for a poorly tanned and often smelly hide...

So - what do you think is the most fool-proof method to kill the grease in these hides? My usual practice is to wet hides back and at the same time degrease them, but these hides are over the top and I want to be sure it is all out. BTW, the skin sides are fully fleshed but apparently the trapper wasn't keen on scraping grease off...at my disposal now I have a jug of Kemsol degreaser, but should I also go buy a can of acetone and soak them in that before the tan?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Lee

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Try This

This response submitted by Bill @ Hog Heaven on 4/22/06 at 9:35 AM. ( ) 24.59.215.89

After they are wet back drain well. Then with a dull fleshing knife reflesh actually just milk the grease out .Then degrease as a seperate step before pickling. Have done this with hog capes succesfully.

I like to use...

This response submitted by jrosbor on 4/22/06 at 12:50 PM. ( huntersdream3x@hotmail.com ) 64.73.36.192

Fat-B-Gone from wdts! I started using this stuff on deer and just for craps and giggles I used it on an old greased up coon. This is without a doubt the best degreaser I have ever used. I use the stuff like Bill said. On an air dried coon I use Stop Rot to help rewet the hide then it goes into the pickle and when it is fully wet and pumped up I take a dull fleshing knife (just an old draw knife) and "milk" the fat out. Then neutrilize and squirt a few ounces of Fat-B-Gone on the skin and work it in for a few minutes. It's that simple! No measuring or making an extra soak or adding to the pickle. Stuff smells good too! It's kinda like dish soap but not a soap. Hope this info helps!

Joe

as per Bill's message

This response submitted by Laurier on 4/22/06 at 2:16 PM. ( houlel@onlink.net ) 209.105.209.18

first put skin in water water and laundry detergeant at about 80 degrees , same as when you wach your hands at.
The soap will cut the graese , and draw knife or wire wheel will soften up the skin and will help degrease the skin. Leave the skin in water for about 1/2 hour, drain skin use the draw knife and scrape the skin , soak the skin for 1/2 hour again , drain and pickel again.

if you have a problem you can call me at (705)476-0483

Thanks everyone...

This response submitted by R .Lee on 4/22/06 at 4:24 PM. ( ) 67.72.98.89

I had thought about scraping them again but wasn't sure if that was OK. Will give these suggestions a try.

grease removeal

This response submitted by Roy Ethridge on 4/24/06 at 5:37 PM. ( rethrid1@bellsouth.net ) 68.220.242.57

warm water 2 gal, 2cups baking soda, 3 TLps dish washing detergent joy
soak hides, wash hides,rinse hides,streach and dry

Return to Tanning Category Menu