Solution tan or brush on tan

Submitted by Dennis on 4/24/06 at 12:06 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.203

Hi
I am just starting out doing taxidermy. I have finished 2 deer heads and was using Lutan F to tan the hide. I was looking at other tanning methods like the brush on. I was wondering do you get a better tan by using a solution tan or brush on tan? I would appreciate your opinions and why you use one method over the other?

Thanks
Dennis

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Dennis, a tan is a tan regardless of how it's administered

This response submitted by George on 4/24/06 at 1:01 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.101.12

There really is no definitive SINGLE process to achieve a "tan" as there is no real definition of what a "real" tan is supposed to look like. What you get is different results. A chrome tan used for shoes is not something you would use in taxidermy. For years, only a "soft tan" or a "dry tan" was the only thing we got back from tanneries. They required rehydration, sweating, and they still weren't a resilient as we liked. At one time, a "pickle" WAS the only method used for taxidermy and it was referred to as a "pickle tan". Now suddenly, some are saying nothing is tanned if you don't "pickle" it (to which I reply: "horse shift") But we have tanneries not processing "wet tans" which are superb in quality and resilience. The "paint on" tans give you an exceptional product as well. So it all goes back to personal preference.

why jump through hoops if you dont have to

This response submitted by paul e on 4/25/06 at 6:56 AM. ( amfpaul@bellsouth.net ) 66.157.43.124

i agree with George there is no definitive " Right Way"
and ive tried probably most of them
and most will give you a good tan
when i get a cape in good condition i use stop rot and JRTS(A RUB ON TAN)
there are other rub ons that are good also
and i dont pickle either with a good cape
i do that up to deer size stuff
if i get a not so fresh cape i pickle and use a submersible tan

Return to Tanning Category Menu