leather quality

Submitted by chuck on 4/24/06 at 2:26 PM. ( ) 69.210.52.169

I'm a novice with a couple of questions.
1. When a hide starts to slip badly enough that it is no longer suitable for a mount, is it likely possible to simply dehair it and have tanned for possibly a garment.

2. I'm wondering about the suitability of different animal hides for leather goods. For example, it seems to me that a prime northern coon hide, dehaired and tanned might be very useable. My own experience tells me (perhaps incorrectly) that other critters such as possum are simply too thin.

3. Can anyone recommend a good glove maker-(conventional work gloves)?

I'd appreciate any insights on this matter. Thanks. Chuck

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Chuck

This response submitted by George on 4/24/06 at 2:40 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.100.133

Coons and other small animals do not make good leather for apparel. Fine leathers, made from sheep, deer, and calf work better simply because after tanning and oiling they are "split". Not in a conventional sense, but rather in a "milling" sense. This allows for consistent thickness throughout which is imperative for good stitching on quality apparel.

I don't know what kind of work gloves you're referring to. Sam's Club sells packs of quality work gloves. I don't know the name brand but they're soft golden leather gloves with drawstrings. For quality doe skin gloves, I order them directly from W.B. Place in Wisconsin. 1-800-TAN HIDE.

Chuck...

This response submitted by jrosbor on 4/26/06 at 1:35 PM. ( huntersdream3x@hotmail.com ) 64.73.36.192

The leather and gloves (actualy all garments) from W.B Place is Awesome! When you have a deer skin tanned by them the weight of it comes out to be about 2-3oz and great to work with. The gloves they make are about 1.5-2oz and remain soft even after they get wet and dried a few times. Take Geroge's advice and give them a try. Joe

What about #1?

This response submitted by J on 4/27/06 at 12:34 PM. ( ) 204.113.19.8

How about his first question?

Question #1

This response submitted by jrosbor on 4/27/06 at 4:52 PM. ( huntersdream3x@hotmail.com ) 64.73.36.192

Yes you can use a slipping hide or cape to make leather. However, When you have bacteria or chemical slipage, it is not just causing damage to the hair or hair roots. It is also causing damage to the hide itself. Can it be done? Yes, but you end up with weaker leather.

Return to Tanning Category Menu