dying EZ100

Submitted by Myrna on 4/25/06 at 8:13 PM. ( ) 67.1.225.125

I just finished tanning a hide in EZ 100,and put it in some vegetable tan to dye it,figuring it would be no problem,but it seems to not want to soften.Could the tan have washed out sitting in the bark dye for about 4 days?I haven't read anything about this,so I'm not sure about this.Any helps for it?CAN you dye in vegetable ..."soup"?I have dyed chrome tan in the same stuff many times without problems.
Help appreciated

Return to Tanning Category Menu

You need to re-oil it.

This response submitted by jrosbor on 4/26/06 at 1:41 PM. ( huntersdream3x@hotmail.com ) 64.73.36.192

When you dye leather, You must treat it as you would after any other tanning method. Retanning is what it is refered to. For example: Chrome tan then vegie tan is called Vegie retanned and must be oiled and broke after the vegie tan. They also have alum and chrome retanning. for example first you tan with Q-Bark and retan with chrome, this is chrome retan. or tan with chrome and retan with alum. Make sence? Have a good one! Joe

If you used the Veg for color1

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 4/26/06 at 9:04 PM. ( rittel@mindspring.com ) 4.154.208.97

Yes - you can add a Veg Tan to the EZ-100 to darken its color - but the same rule applies. You should not tan in EZ-100 over 24 hours or it begins to cross-link and it loses its stretchiness. You mentioned 4 days - that's way too long in EZ-100! And it cant be reversed!

I assume you wanted a leather color to it. But the best you can achive is a "surface" coloring mixing the Veg Tan and EZ-100. Unless - like Joe mentioned above - you remove it from the EZ-100 before 24 hours and then retan it seperately in a Veg Tan solution as a retan.

Bark Tan

This response submitted by 9 on 4/27/06 at 11:46 AM. ( ) 216.144.58.57

Bark tans are a stiff tan. 4 days in bark tan seems to be far too short. Most bark tans were done over a period of 4-6 months. Tanning veg over EZ-100 will give you the bark tan feel which is a stiff, thicker skin. You might want to oil it a few times or re-immerse it in the bark tan solution.

Return to Tanning Category Menu